Street Races in Illinois

-

SixFourDart

Reaction score
Hey everybody, we're putting on a street racing deal similar to the flashlight drags featured recently in Hot Rod. We've gotten permission to use the old dragstip in Assumption Illinois for a few events over the summer. Got some details to work out with the owner but its about 99.5% a sure thing. Rules are gonna be pretty simple. It's a 1/4 mile track but we're gonna start off running 1/8 for safety reasons. Mufflers will be mandatory but slicks will be allowed. You can do your own track prep if you want as long as you don't hold up the flow of things. No alcohol, no whining, no complaining. This is for fun and it's going to be a family friendly atmosphere. Race who you want, negotiate lengths, whatever. We're really going for a street racing vibe but safe and legal. No timing equipment and probably a flag or arm drop start. Really hoping to see some period rods there. It's the perfect location for it. First one will probably be around the beginning of May. Looks like the entry fee will probably be $20 to race $6 to spectate with discounts for teenagers and pre registration. Kids 12 and under will get in free. This is gonna be a somewhat crude event to start out due to the fact that the grounds are sparse, no electricity anymore, no bleachers, we'll be using port a pottys and such. The asphalt is still pretty good and we'll find someone to handle concessions and all. This is going to cost way more than we thought to get started so we are looking for sponsors. We have to iron out some insurance issues and have a meeting next week with the property owner to figure out some other details. I'd love to hear your input here or email me at ncperformance@hotmail.com. Watch our website ncperformanceinc.com for more details.

This was posted on another racing forum. This used to be a regular drag strip in the 70-80's. sounds like it could be a good time.
I will be there!!

wow,that sounds like alot of fun,wish i was closer.but im in ks.have fun 4 me.8)

Count me in. Never made it to Assumption when it was open so it'll be neat to finally go there. Do you know if there is a road that goes over from Taylorville? I looked at a map and it looks like there might be but it isn't marked.

This sounds like fun I would like to go check it out.
I talked to the local muscle car club and they
are interested in possibly going over with the club.
Keep us posted on the dates and I will relay to the
other guys. I am going to see if the guy I sold my
Valiant to will go also.
aj>

As promised....
This event is gonna happen at the old Motion Racewy in Assumption. May 3 is the tentative date for the first event. Big discounts for groups that want to preregister and prepay. Call or email for details. 217-676-2660 ncperformance@hotmail.com We plan to start cleaning up the track this week. Lots of work to do and we are looking for sponsors and food vendors. This aint gonna be cheap for us so we could really use some sponsor revenue to get it going. Thanks for the interest everyone.

Hey everybody, Greg here. We're the company putting on this event. Here is some more info if you might be interested. Call 217-676-2660 or email ncperformance@hotmail.com for details. You can also take a look at ncperformanceinc.com Thanks.

NCP Street Drags at Motion Raceway
The Location
This series of events will be run on the grounds of historic Motion Raceway in Assumption Illinois. Once considered one of the finest dragstrips in the state, it’s a 1/4 mile track that was host to many legends of the sport over the years. John Jones has been gracious enough to let us use this property for a trial season of roughly 5 events in 2008. This is only on a trial basis and our success and ability to make something regular out of this depends on YOU! Please follow the rules and help us bring a truly unique event to central Illinois.
The Format
We’re capturing all the excitement of street racing in a safe, controlled, family friendly atmosphere. Most importantly, we want to get kids off the street and the racing where it belongs. The races will be 1/8 mile, flag started with no timing equipment. Go heads up or negotiate lengths. Run what ya brung, open to all cars trucks and bikes. Our only stipulation is that they must have mufflers. Slicks or street tires are acceptable. The grounds are sparse with no electricity or grandstands so bring your lawn chairs. We will have food vendors and porta potties available, as well as EMTs and a full security staff.
The Rules
1. No whining or complaining. This is supposed to be for fun and there are no prizes or payouts. If you disagree with the outcome or you think the other guy jumped the gun on you, just line up and do it again.
2. Bring your coolers but absolutely no alcohol is allowed on the grounds. Anyone caught consuming alcohol will be asked to leave by our security staff.
3. All vehicles must have mufflers.
4. Seat belts must be worn at all times.
5. Vehicles must pass a minimal safety inspection. No major leaks, safe tires, no excessive rubber fuel or tranny lines, etc.
6. Motorcycle riders must wear a helmet, leather jacket, and long pants.
7. No passengers on the racetrack.
8. Drivers will attend a mandatory drivers meeting and sign a waiver before the beginning of the event.
9. Drivers must be 16 or older.
10. No gambling.
11. Please do not visit the racetrack on days when there is no event scheduled.
Fees and Schedule
Racers at the gate $20. Racers preregistered $15. Racers with a high school ID $10. Clubs or groups of five or more preregistered $12. Spectators $6. Kids 12 and under free.
Our first event is scheduled for May 3, 2008. Gates will open at 7 AM. Racing will start around 10AM and last until dusk. Hope to see you there!

THE RETURN OF MOTION RACEWAY!

Dormant for just under a quarter-century, Motion Raceway in Assumption, Illinois, is set to reopen on Sunday, May 3rd, 2008. The site of many fuel match races and the breeding ground of more than a few national sportsman stars, track owner John Jones closed the facility at the conclusion of the 1984 season after fifteen years of operation. However, Jones has given Greg Clayton of New Covenant Performance in Mt. Auburn, Illinois, the opportunity to conduct muffled street car competition at Motion in an eighth-mile format. The track was originally a quarter-mile strip but moved to a thousand-feet configuration when its three thousand-feet total length became insufficient.

Clayton, who operates NCP with parents Steve and Sherry, will maintain a street car grudge racing atmosphere at the track during the five dates afforded by Jones. Since there is no electricity to the property, no timing system will be used. Clayton has already acquired insurance, safety equipment and portable restrooms and is currently soliciting food vendors equipped with generators. Scott Gardner and Taz Hines of Cordova Dragway Park have offered some of the remaining guardrail from their track's installation of concrete walls and Clayton is already accepting sponsors for the new program. For information to become involved and for details of the events, go to http://www.ncperformanceinc.com/races.htm or contact Greg Clayton directly at 217-676-2660.

Motion Raceway is located three miles north of Assumption and 1.1 miles west of Illinois Route 51 on the south side of East 1500 North Road.

Great news, I made a half dozen fliers
and put them at the local Street Rod/
Speed shop for hand out. I will be going
to the Jersey Country Street Machine
meeting Monday and will hand out about
another dozen fliers. I will be there with
or with out my car.
I will start another post with all the Jersey
County Street Machine cruise nights and
car shows.
aj>

Thanks so much for the help cudaj380. We appreciate all the support people have shown for this event. Seems the only negative comments have been from a few guys who are mad cause they can't drink and gamble and some nervous dragstrip owners. Wish they'd calm down a little cause we don't believe we'll hurt anyones car count with the type of program we're putting on. Also, seems to be a few people talking about the track having trees growing through the asphalt and such. The asphalt aint that bad and there is nothing sticking through it. We will spray it and we've got gaurdrails, EMT's, fire extinguishers etc. It will be a safe environment. Still needing some sponsor support and preregistering would be a fantastic way to support us. We will have a rain date should the 3rd be a little soggy. This is billed as street car racing but you are more than welcome to bring slick tired race only cars as well. Just have mufflers and door cars only please. If anyone else wants fliers let us know. For sponsor and preregistration info go to http://www.ncperformanceinc.com/races.htm Thanks again everbody.

I handed more flier's tonight and some of the guys
were interested but noted the flier I printed says
Sunday May 3 and the calander says the 3rd is
Saturday. Could you clarify the day? The biggest
problem I ran into is Gateway is having the NHRA
Poweraide meet that week end and some guys were
more interested in that. I will be getting in touch for
pre-entry can we do that over the phone or is better
to send a check?
thanks,
aj>

i know you said cars have to have mufflers.but i usually race my cummins that i haul my drag car and trailer with.it has alot done to it and does not run a muffler due to exhaust temperature reasons.is this an exception?I would really like to drive both but cannot put a muffler on the truck.thanks
jeremy

I handed more flier's tonight and some of the guys
were interested but noted the flier I printed says
Sunday May 3 and the calander says the 3rd is
Saturday. Could you clarify the day? The biggest
problem I ran into is Gateway is having the NHRA
Poweraide meet that week end and some guys were
more interested in that. I will be getting in touch for
pre-entry can we do that over the phone or is better
to send a check?
thanks,
aj>

Hey AJ where do you see that it says sunday? I just read the whole page in the link above and it said May 3 but I didn't see anywhere that it said either sat. or sun.

i know you said cars have to have mufflers.but i usually race my cummins that i haul my drag car and trailer with.it has alot done to it and does not run a muffler due to exhaust temperature reasons.is this an exception?I would really like to drive both but cannot put a muffler on the truck.thanks
jeremy

Jeremy you'll probably have to e-mail them direct to get an answer.

the e-mail is ncperformance@hotmail.com

Hey guys, May 3 is a Saturday. There was an error in the first release Bret Kepner put out and some of them got copied and pasted before it was fixed. Motion never ran Sundays in the old days and we're sticking with that tradition. As for the diesel with no muffler. It would just depend how loud it is. We're gonna have to be pretty conservative with the noise at first. Even if a race car comes with mufflers and it's outrageously loud we may have to say no. We'll just have to see what the neighbors' reaction is after the first event. I'd say since it's your tow vehicle and you'll have it there anyway we'll just take a listen and make a decision at the time. It'll probably be ok since the tone of a diesel isn't all that sharp. I should have taken the NHRA race into consideration but it's a little too late to change it now. I'm sure we'll still have a large crowd due to the feedback we continue to get. Preregistering on the phone would be fine. One more thing. How many of you guys would be willing to dress up nice and come to a zoning board meeting on the 25th of march to show some support? Seems there is one more legal hurdle. Shouldn't be a problem, just going through the motions and we haven't heard of any objections yet but it might be nice to have a hundred or so well behaved hot rodders there to show support. Keep the questions coming guys. Thanks again, Greg

Thanks for the clarification on the date Greg. Glad to hear it's on Sat. too as I can't make Sundays. It's a good possibility I can come to the zoning board meeting on the 25th. What time and where is it. Tracy

Let me know about the meeting also. I went to the Indy Mopar Swap meet and people were talking about it over there!! Any way in a year or two to make the track a official drag strip again.....huh...huh. I will be getting in touch to pre register! Also hit me up with some fliers..
four40cuda@yahoo.com -Chris Morris

I just found out that my dad use to race over there in his younger years. I grew up in Taylorville and never even heard about that track. I plan to be there and would love to race my dad again. He has a 440 which is slower then my 340 but I'm porting some heads for him right now so he can drop his ETs. Sounds like alot of fun.

-
Back