Street/Strip Insurance question

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
So as some of you know, I'm in the process of building a street strip dart. I should have my title soon, and I have been thinking about insurance regarding the roll cage in the car. I've never dealt with insuring a classic car. Some family members seem to think having a cage, and no back seat due to that, will cause my rates to skyrocket. They also say that insurance companies may even refuse to insure a classic car with a cage. Yet, I've been told by some that it wouldn't matter with liability, and that all they would check is the VIN. Naturally, I called the local state farm, my current insurer, and asked about this. Apparently none of them have heard of something like this, and had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Same deal with the other 2 I called. Would I be better off with getting insurance through something like Haggerty? What's your guys's opinion on this? Thanks

I've got a 6-point bar in my duster..no problem insuring it with Grundy:D:D

None of them will pay the first cent if there is damage incurred during a race or anything that even smells like a race. I've insured a couple with roll bar/cage using the don't ask don't tell theory. Never had a claim knock on wood.

Insurance is null and void if u get caught engaged in a racing event. Kim
---this---the ins. I have covers mine everywhere, except going down the dragstrip, even in the pits and staging lanes, SUPPOSEDLY !

I have my Scamp (408, full roll cage, 305's out back, etc.) registered and insured as a DD 71 Plymouth Scamp - am I taking a chance? You betcha... if something were to happen I would certainly get :poke: HARD... IIRC the "value" is something like $1200... that wouldn't replace transmission. BUT, my insurance rate per year on the car is LOW - you gotta decided between risk and reward, and as has been clearly stated here - crash it racing and all bets are off anyway.

How low is "low"? My '72 Dart is insured by Heacock for $10k agreed value, 6k miles per year, costs $257 annually. But I can't use it as a daily driver, either.

How low is "low"? My '72 Dart is insured by Heacock for $10k agreed value, 6k miles per year, costs $257 annually. But I can't use it as a daily driver, either.
I`m paying $264, for $30,000 coverage. not a d. driver tho.

My '70 duster is insured for $30k agreeded value cost me $300.00 a year can drive it all I want,just has to be garaged all the time..

i've been involved in a lot of personal injury/auto accident cases in my 30 years of practice. here are some guidelines which are operable in pennsylvania, and most likely many other states:

1. EVERYTHING that you intend to do with a vehicle HAS to be disclosed to the agent at the time insurance coverage is purchased. EVERY insurance policy has a "failure to disclose" or "fraud" or "not covered" section and/or language. consequently, if the insurred vehicle is involved in an accident under circumstances not discussed at the time the policy was written, the insurance carrier is going to DENY coverage. remember, it is EVERY insurance carrier's goal to DENY COVERAGE in the event of an accident. if you give that company ANY "reaonable" grounds to deny coverage, they will probably win on that denial in a law suit.

2. adding almost any items to a vehicle, i.e. a roll cage, in no way increases the insurance company's "risk" for that vehicle. it is the "use" of the vehicle that the risk is calculated on. thus, you can put a roll cage in your car and drive that car a 100k miles ON PUBLIC HIGHWAYS and there will be no insurance concern. further, you can drive that car to a RACETRACK and park in the parking lot - no problem. the MINUTE you drive that car onto any track "access" road or ABSOLUTELY on the "track" itself, your insurance is going to be null and void UNLESS you have discussed that with your agent BEFORE HAND.

3. if your carrier does have a policy available for a vehicle used in "organized competitive events", you need to make sure all aspects of coverage are discussed and outlined in the policy. for example, does the insurance only cover "damage" to the vehicle occuring in a race; does the policy cover any injuries to the "driver" of the car as a result of an accident during a race; does the policy cover damage to "property" as a result of an accident in a race; and MOST IMPORTANT - does the policy cover any injuries to "another person" as a result of an accident occuring during a race. the EXACT coverage is critical!! even IF you can get some kind of "race insurance", that insurance may not cover all the things you think it does.

here's the bottom line for "race vehicles":

1. they are NEVER covered by insurance during a race;

2. if anyone gets hurt in a racing accident, SOMEONE will get sued;

3. if anyone gets KILLED in a racing accident, SOMEONE "absolutely" will get sued;

4. DON'T assume ANYTHING about insurance unless you have verified your assumptions with your agent - and what he tells you HAS to be in writing!!

finally, here's something you races have probably not thought of: if you get killed while racing your vehicle, any "life insurance" policies will NOT pay benefits under that policy. life insurance policies always have questions like: do you engage in motor sports racing? do you have a pilots license? do you scuba dive? do you engage in any ultra-hazardous sports? if you answer yes on any of the questions, you probably will still be able to get the insurance but it will cost more. if you answer "no" and then get killed in any one of those activities, the insurance carrier will deny benefits.

i'm always the "Debbie Downer" here on FABO!! i don't want to be but as a lawyer, i want to give my fellow FABO readers as much straight and accurate information as i can so they can make good decisions and know what they are getting into based upon those decisions. and as all lawyers say, statements made here are meant for instruction and discussion and are not intended to be actual "legal advice." individuals should always consult a local attorney licensed in your state for the most accurate state of the law in your locality.

That's one reason my policy cost a bit more... although it's small, my Dart has a Powershot nitrous system which moves it from "Modified" to "Highly Modified" category. Most classic car insurers won't even allow nitrous :p

-
Back