Strikes suck big time!!

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, no miracle happened, I've been on strike since Tuesday. There are going to be a lot of bad feelings after this one. I'm not a big fan of unions to start with but, they sure are better than the alternative. My employer, (federal government), has not given me a raise that met the cost of living in 10 years. It's a good thing I was able to climb part of the corporate ladder and get pay increases that way. Sorry, but I had to vent a little after being on the line for three days.

The only good thing I have been able to get out of it is. I have been able to get a lot of work done on the Demon because I only picket half days.

Jack

Good luck Jack.... I hope everything is resolved quickly.

Thats a bummer. Does the Union have a fund to pay workers on strike? I never was a big fan of unions anyway. When I first joined the Air Force years ago we used to get 10-15% raises every year and didn't get taxed on our pay, then that suddenly dropped to 2-4% :shock: On top of that they started taxing us. When I first joined I was only getting paid $550/mo so you know what I ended up with.

Well on the up side, at least you have time to work on the Demon :D

Hey Adam,

Of course it's a union rule. There's 300 of us to picket one building. I guess they figure they don't need us all, all of the time.

Hey Fastback340,

I hope it's over soon to. This is hurting my buying power for the car already.

Jack

Hey Craig,

4% would look real good to me right now, I haven't got over 7% on a three year contract ever. And we are taxed to death up here. My wife and I worked it out a few years ago, and about 66-68 % of our gross pay goes to taxes. :pukel: :pukel:

Jack

I forgot to answer your question Craig.

Yes, we get $50 a day. The worst thing about it is the wife just finished a strike. We had a 2 day overlap. Thank god she's back to work.

Jack

hey coyote Jack, We came close to striking as well, I work for MACK, our contract was up at Midnight Oct 1, and nobody heard anything. Until noon on the 2nd, it was an hour to hour extension. We actually didn't get a bad deal, I didn't think we would get a raise because we already get a decent paycheck, but now depending on which med plan we have you might pay more of a co-pay.

Good Luck Jack! I've alway's been commission since college so I haven't had any experiences like a Union strike. I hope you get what you deserve.

Been in a few of those. Last one the company closed it's doors on us, so much for that.

Haven't worked union, and won't, since then.

Run my own business know.

-
Back