stripped lug studs

-

ep41

Reaction score
I have been told I can just drive these back out and replace them. They really don't look like you can do this, is this advice correct? Thanks!

Ian's Pictures 006.jpg

Ian's Pictures 007.jpg

Ian's Pictures 008.jpg

Sure a heavy brass drift punch and a 2 LB hammer, punch them out and replace with new. put a little oil on the head and use a lug nut and some washers to pull it to the axle flange. O72D

Speaking of which, does anyone know the correct part number for front wheel studs with drum brakes on a 1970 duster?

To change them you bang them out, put the new ones in place, put a lug nut on and torque it down to pull the new stud in to place. It's actually pretty simple, but I had to pull the axle out about 1/2" on mine because the new studs were a little longer than the old ones and there was no room to get them in.

Summit and Jegs cary longer studs for circle-track. I did it on an F-100. I had to slide out the rear axle and was able to notch the front dust shield to get them in. Then just seat them with the wheel/lug nuts. Longer bolts are great peice of mind with aftermarket wheels!

Turn the axle so they will not hit the parking brake strut or anything else and whack away. I use a little bearing grease on the nuts where they ride on the flange and usually a few washers to pull them in No problem at all.

For the rear studs you can replace them as described above but the fronts are a little different. If the studs are staked like they should be, you'll need to cut the staked part out first before you do any pressing or you may damage the hub. After the new ones are pressed in, you should have them restaked so the drum fits tight against the hub. You should turn the drum or at least check to see if it's still straight after you're done.

There should be one small spot that looks outta place that lines up the studs and then they can be punched out. A better description of what kind of car and axle and also if you can post a picture further away of the whole hub would be better, stanley did have a stud book at carquest that should tell you exactly what you need.

Thanks guys, got the new ones in. It was suprisingly easy to pull them through with a nut.

-
Back