Stroke a 318

-
i think @MonkeyMadness has a 392 stroker in his D series truck? maybe he can weigh in.
Yep, my D100 sports a 318/396, 4" x 3.970" (.060) stroker. I got the kit from CNC-motorsports. Couldn't be happier! Easy install no block clearancing needed, due to the I beam rods. I went with the 9.3:1 kit but then I added the felpro head gaskets 1008 and a set of CNC speedmaster heads and it runs like a raped ape... I love it!

Best Mopar 318 Stroker Kit at CNC Motorsports

I got the same head and I went with 11 to one compression

Yep, my D100 sports a 318/396, 4" x 3.970" (.060) stroker. I got the kit from CNC-motorsports. Couldn't be happier! Easy install no block clearancing needed, due to the I beam rods. I went with the 9.3:1 kit but then I added the felpro head gaskets 1008 and a set of CNC speedmaster heads and it runs like a raped ape... I love it!

Best Mopar 318 Stroker Kit at CNC Motorsports
Always wondered how CNC kits are, i look at their page a lot when i'm thinking bout how i want to do my next motor.. did you have them to the balancing also?

The 318/392 has a longer stroke than the modern 392. Over 4” bore. I wonder how the torque is going to come on. 318/392 will it be a better low revving motor 5600? Or more of a 6k+
Depending on top end, especially heads and cam. If you can get the small bore/long stroke to displace enough fuel and air over time (CFMs) the engine will rev, just a bigger bore shorter is more suited to higher rpms.

Always wondered how CNC kits are, i look at their page a lot when i'm thinking bout how i want to do my next motor.. did you have them to the balancing also?
i haven't bought a stroker kit from them, but i picked up pistons for a build.

i was more than pleased with the price and customer service. there was a little mix up with the rings and pins and even though it was months later they were excellent to deal with in getting it resolved. 10/10 would buy from them again.

Clegg engines had all my parts balanced and was at my door in 2 1/2 weeks

If you are going with a CNC kit, pay for them to balance, especially if you are going to use the cast crank. You might get lucky if you opt for the diamond pistons as another member suggested with the cast crank, because they are much lighter than the icon pistons, but I doubt it.
If doing it piecemeal, I would recommend paying more for the forged crank, not due to any weakness of the Scat 9000 cast, but because it is much cheaper to remove metal when balancing than to have heavy metal added

there are several 318/390's on here that rev fine, as mentioned it's more to do with heads/cam/induction. at the end of the day the 392 will only be 0.050" under what's considered the 'majic' 4" bore of a 360 so not what you could really call a small bore anyway.
neil.

Yes, my kit came fully balanced and ready to go! I plan on stroking my 5.7 in the future and will be getting the kit from them!

I got the same head and I went with 11 to one compression
If your pistons are advertised at that, make sure what the 'compression height' is of them and CC's of the heads to determine actual compression with your given gasket thickness. Don't know what they are doing these days but not all that many years ago pistons were advertised for 'max' compression which took place after maximum head and block milling and the thinness possible gaskets.....anyways, a long time racing buddy built a 318/390 awhile back with a turbo and his 95 Dakota made it into the high 9's before he messed up and ran it too lean one night and burned a piston. Now he has a 360 but as of right now, I have no info on that one.

-
Back