Stroker oilpan

-

Chrippa

Reaction score
What oilpan do you guys with 340/360 strokers use? I still have a stock pan with a lousy pickup but a melling pump. Im thinking of upgrading the pan and pickup but im not sure what to go for!

Moroso or Milodon or something else?

Also anyone running a Hughes engines main girdle? How is it with windage tray and the girdle , do they fit with each other?
Also do you need a windage tray when running a aftermarket pan like the moroso 8qt ? :)

Chris

I have an 7 or 8qt Milodon. What headers are you running. My Hooker super comps wont clear my Mildon pan.

I run the Milodon 8qt pan with a mellings pump with taller gears and no windage tray. the pan has internal baffles plus I added one instead of the windage tray (too damn expensive for a 360 ) so I built it into the pan instead . I am happy with it and it doesn't hang low like the moroso and with Hedman headers I don't scrape even on steep drives

Im running TTI step headers!

Aint anyone running a girdle ? Im thinking of one as it seems like a priceworthy investment for the bottomend :)

Chrippa,

I'm running the Hughes girdle. Your windage tray won't fit with the girdle. I asked Dave at Hughes the same question and he said that the girdle acts as a windage tray by design. I asked about horsepower loss and he said there would be very little loss to the point of almost nonexistent. I had him rework my stock oil pan and he welded in a baffle on a swivel and it works slick. I wanted to keep the stock look as much as possible to the engine so he reworked mine and I'm happy with it. I have a friend with a reworked 73 340 Road Runner and he has the Milodon pan and has no complaints. It does hang down a little lower but it seems to work okay.

A question for you guys running these strokers, can you run a stock oil pan and not have a clearance problem with the connecting rods? I don't know if the bottoms of the cylinders are the only place to be clearanced, or if the oil pan rail needs it also. Thanks, just also curious about this as I decide which route to go with my 340.

340GTSDart said:
A question for you guys running these strokers, can you run a stock oil pan and not have a clearance problem with the connecting rods? I don't know if the bottoms of the cylinders are the only place to be clearanced, or if the oil pan rail needs it also. Thanks, just also curious about this as I decide which route to go with my 340.
No clearance problems with a stock pan, at least for a 360/408.

I run a Milodon 8qt and am unhappy with it. Poor R&D forces you to notch your K-member in one area. I've heard of persons having to make two notches.

No instructions warning you about this were provided, you just figure it out when you put the engine it. Pissed me off.

And no, you don't need a windage tray, it's just recommended. Having a stock or 8qt pan will make not difference in the windage tray recommendation.

The ones I've done are either stock pans, or the street Milodon one. I use trays in all of mine, the Milodon that fits the main studs. It's supposed to be an improvement over MP designs. I havent explored that tho...lol. Really, a scraper and baffles should be enough in most pans, but the tray is much easier to fit.

:read2:With all the trobule and problems people have installing headers cut this or notch that an dont talk price is there a stock manifold that you can use on a stock 360 with a diffrent cam how much hp would i be loseing.

65, I think you resurrected a post that has nothing to do with your question... Might want to start a new post for that one.

I run the Kevko on mine with no windage tray. Does not hang below the k-member and works with TTI headers. it is 6 quarts plus the oil filter.

anybody catch how old this thread is? lets reserect the dead...:cheers:

holy cow this thread is old! anyways, just for petes sake, I'm using a moroso 7 qt pan with RMS front end...it wont work in a stock type suspension

My experience is that every aftermarket pan looks/fits like crap. I'd run the stock pan, and spend the extra $$ on an accumulator. I don't care for the oil pan being the lowest point on the car. My Milodon is the worst fitting pan I've ever had. I had a Kevko, but it wouldn't fit in the car with the motor installed, and it looked like it was welded by a child...

Running a Stock Pan with windage tray, Melling Stock Pump and pickup on the 318/402 I am building now. The Tray had to be lifted off the caps about 3/8 of an inch with spacers and tweaked around a bit for the oil pickup and so the rod bolts/caps would not hit it.

402 Stroker 007.jpg

402 Stroker 012.jpg

402 Stroker 031.jpg

-
Back