Struggling to find mufflers

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hey All

I have been researching mufflers for my 68 Dart - 383 Auto that are quieter than the straight thru Cherry Bombs on it. I am adding an H Pipe in front of CB's and I can add a set of smaller sized performance mufflers in the factory position (behind trans x-member) and I have a few preferences;

quiet rumble
chambered
no drone
2.5 in/out
Prefer - centre/centre config but can use centre/offset

i had one good option but they are out of production and the local speed shop has only one - Speed FX2503AS

Each of major manufacturers sites are not helpful in finding a similar product in either aluminized or stainless.

Anyone have an idea? part number?

Thanks, Pete

I like these...

Screenshot_20240602_114619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Drone is t always a muffler issue.

Quite mufflers with a mello rumble? Dynomax turbo mufflers.

These Borla are going on my 70 Dart
3 inch , 2 1/2 available, got em last yr $80 each
Look up Borla XS series reviews

17173694978082791697764576795621.jpg

17173695358818189165489536372604.jpg

17173695552148129283564222746914.jpg

Last edited:
Walker's catalog is pretty good - look up the Dynomax Turbo style mufflers for diameter, offsets and lengths.

Another company, maybe a little less prone to drone is Magnaflow
Same deal, look up size, length offset, etc.

Offset should work better when lining up frpom factory hanger locations to the tail pipes.
H-pipe should be approx 20" after the individual tubes end inside the collector.

Walker's catalog is pretty good - look up the Dynomax Turbo style mufflers for diameter, offsets and lengths.

Another company, maybe a little less prone to drone is Magnaflow
[/URL]
Same deal, look up size, length offset, etc.

Offset should work better when lining up frpom factory hanger locations to the tail pipes.
H-pipe should be approx 20" after the individual tubes end inside the collector.
Walker exhaust catalog is nearly useless. It forces me to select application (won't work due to engine change), part number (dont know what part i need) or limited description which does not allow me to enter Dynomax. No options to select pipe sizes or configuration. So, i am not sure what catalog you are looking at but Walker won't be selling me anything.

You're right. The one I have says Dynomax
Similar to the master catalog here. See pages 8-9 for the turbo style

or this

Quiet and no-drone and short small mufflers don't go together. The bigger the muffler, the less likely to be loud and drone.
Till I read your list, I would have recommended a quality turbo muffler or hemi muffler.
If you want a chambered sound, I'd get hooker Aero. I had a pair of 3.5 in/out on a nine second street car, I liked the way they sound.
Current car has looong 3" magnaflow straight thru, very quiet considering hooked to big block fenderwell headers and dumping in front of the rear tires.

Hooker aero chambered muffler 21516HKR
2 1/2 in/out, center/center
$125 at summit, in stock.
(I doubt I would pay that. My 3 1/2 aero's were $50 when I bought em.)
Holley closeout site has 3"aeros center in/out, marked down to $90.
If I was buying mufflers tomorrow?.......Dynomax ultraflow welded stainless.

-
Back