strut rod nut size

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
I have been a mopar freak since the mid sixties and have never run into this problem. I snapped off the threaded end of my strut rods trying to get the nut off. In the process of making a new strut rod I discovered that the threads are 14mm x2.0 . Has anyone else run into this? In have owned this car since it was 3 years old and it has never been apart before.As a side note on the bushings cupped washers, mine were cup toward bushing (I have seen there is a ongoing debate on which way the washers face)
this is on a 68 fastback cuda

Not sure on thread size, but as far as the bushing washer goes, they should be cupped toward the bushing as yours are.
That's how the 68 service manual shows them and that is how they are on my trailer queen.
I think some aftermarket replacement bushings have the washer cupped the other way, I assume due to a different bushing design.

9/16 x18 thats for 67 thru 72. They went to coarse thread in 1973

American cars didn't start using communist metric hardware until the mid to late 70's. The fine thread strut rods are 9/16 x 18 on both ends, the later struts with the course threads were 9/16 x 12 on the bushing side.

-
Back