Strut Rods?

-

Brett_I

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm currently rebuilding the front end on my 65 Barracuda and I noticed the strut rods are visibly bent. I can't seem to find any strut rods for sale on any of the online part stores. Are the strut rods perhaps the same length as later A bodies? Let me know, Thanks!

some one on here just had some in the "For Sale" page. Most Mopar vendors have them new. I know Layson's has aluminum replacements for sale.

I see no issues if you bend them back straight (post #3). I think they are hollow, so doesn't take a mega-press. A redneck fix might be to prop the ends on 2"x4" 's and drive a car over the middle. They get bent when gomers hook tow cables to them.

I feel really stupid( nothing new) but what the hell is a strut rod?

The strut rods attach to the lower control arms at the rear of the strut and to the front of the K frame at the front of rod. Also adjustable. Keeps the lower control arms from folding back.

The strut rods attach to the lower control arms at the rear of the strut and to the front of the K frame at the front of rod. Also adjustable. Keeps the lower control arms from folding back.

X2
There are also probably 10 million kinds of them for all kinds of machinery and duties.
For the automotive use MoparMitch described it well.

Something about bending them back doesn't sit well with me. Doesn't that further weaken the integrity of the metal? Or are they beefy enough that under normal usage it doesn't quite matter? As always, I appreciate taking the time to answer my silly questions.

You are referring to "metal fatigue". If you bend a paper clip 10 times, it usually breaks. Depends on how far you stretch it and the type of metal. One cycle won't fatigue a strut rod, especially since the tube material is probably something like "cold rolled steel". Springs are made from rolled steel. The strut rods mainly see tension, such as when the front wheels brake. The only time you might bend them in in normal use would be in going backwards - if you brake hard or a front wheel hits a curb or rut. More likely, a fool attached chains to them.

I see no issues if you bend them back straight (post #3). I think they are hollow, so doesn't take a mega-press. A redneck fix might be to prop the ends on 2"x4" 's and drive a car over the middle. They get bent when gomers hook tow cables to them.

I would think driving a car over them with the ends on 2x4`s would destroy them.

i straightened one 10 years ago,still on the car with no issues.if you bend it back and forth 10 times like a paper clip,sure it will break,but thats not what we are doing here

I would think driving a car over them with the ends on 2x4`s would destroy them.
I meant the 2x4 sideways, but 1.5" might still be too much height. Maybe 1"x2" (3/4") or plywood. Start small and work up. You must over-bend them slightly since they will spring back a bit.

-
Back