Stuck in 3rd, but I believe I unstuck it....

-

Dans 68

Reaction score
Guys,

This is my first post here, and I want to thank you all for the forum on the 4-speed transmission. I have a '68 Charger (gasp...a "B" body!) but as the A833's are all the same I find your discussions invaluable. :love4: The car is one of the rare 383 4-barrel 4-speed's.

I found your site after my Charger was stuck in 3rd gear (after, I recall, some quick shifts to impress my nephew). Reading the threads helped. As it is an early '68, and has the Inland shifter, I realize it is a bit sloppy and probably tried to go into multiple gears at the same time. I jacked the car up, crawled under and manually exercised the 1-2 and 3-4 levers, and finally got it into neutral. I ran it through the gears (wheels off the ground) and everything seems normal. I'm going out and drop the car down and take it for a spin. Of course this happens just before a car show I'm attending this Sunday (Mopar Alley at Ohlone College). If any of your A-body guys are going to be there come by and say hi. A photo of my car is attached.

Dan

tmpphpWFCWj1.jpg

After a road test, all is good. I just have to learn not to make believe it is a hurst shifter in there....

Dan

Glad you got it figured out.....

It's amazing how much tech info is found here. :read2: And the great thing is.....if you can't find what you need it seems if you ask,,,,,, some FABO member will chime in to help.

Have fun at the car show and NICE Charger by the way.

Post some MOPAR pix from the show if you plz......:cheers:

So it sounds like it is fixed now, but the reason that it got jammed is prob becase the shifter linkage isn't installed right.

How long have you had the car?

Has the shifter, or linkage, or anything been removed from the car recently?

Its great when cars fix themselfs, but the problem is prb still there.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it the Inland shifters are notorious for being sloppy. That being true, with use (and wear) the shifter will get even sloppier, such that quick shifting will get things moving in the wrong direction at the wrong time. I've had the car for only a few months, and have let the previous owner know about my "experience". It has been together for years. (See http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39025.msg430021.html#msg430021) No response yet.

Dan

My feadback may be of littlt use than. I was thinking hurst shifters. I have never worked on anything else. But havening said that. If it is sloppy, and can be adjusted, you might want to look into it. anything that gets play with wear, ussually can be adjusted.

Phil

-
Back