Stuck in the Middle

-

Mcduster

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with a 318 and 7 1/4 rear end. I just got a B body rear end from a junk yard that is a 8 3\4 open. I was reading some info that guys are also putting ford 8.8 in dusters also. I was gonna get my B body rear end cut here localy and the guy told me $250. I just looked on craigslist and a guy has a 8.8 ford rear end for $250, and it is a posi!!!! What should I do, if the 8.8 doesn't bolt right up and it extra hassle I will keep looking for a 8 3/4 posi. What do you think?

No need to shorten the b-body rearend. Move the perches inwards (I believe 1/2") and use the correct offset wheels and you will be good to go. Some have used the b-body rears without moving the perches but I recommend moving them to where they need to be. Use the open third member until you find a third member with a SG and the gearing you want.

I understand that it was my original plan. But what if I don't have to change my wheels or anything like that and the ford bolts right up? I was just wondering cause if the ford 8.8 bolts right up and it is a posi, wouldn't that be a better option? I was just wondering. Thanks for you input.

If the 8.8 bolts right up (and has the gearing you are looking for) and it's away to the races, then it's up to you if you are ok with it. I have no first hand experience with this swap. With every swap/mod, there are things to consider. With this one, besides physical measurements/fitment, I would be thinking driveshaft, brake lines/hoses, proportioning valve, e-brake, etc. It's just a matter of pros & cons and overall being ok with the 8.8 being in your Duster.

Some of the Ford rears are basically a bolt in - Granada, Monarch, Versilles, but if you go that route your best bet is to look for a 9". The 8.8 isn't supported by the aftermarket like the 9" is as far as gears, axles, bearings, etc. The drawback to the Ford 9" is that it is reported to rob you of more horsepower than the Mopar 8 3/4 will, I think was either 5 or 10%

the 8.8 is about an inch wider and the B-body rearend is three inches wider, so if you dont have real wide tires it will fit. the good part about the 8 3/4 is it is mopar. A friend put a 8.8 in his dart and was very well pleased, so it is what you can afford and can deal with.

Thanks guys for the input, I'm still going playing out the pros and cons in my mind and I think I will just get my axle cut down and run the open until I can get a sure grip.

-
Back