Stuff You Threw in the Trash By Mistake?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Looked all over this morning for my favorite small kitchen knife. Well, yesterday I used it to strip the carcass of those roasted chickens you purchase cooked at the supermarket. When I closed the clear plastic lid over the bones, i left the knife inside there. Today, I threw it out with the trash. Garbage truck picks up later in the afternoon, so i figured out where the knife was by retracing my steps yesterday and recovered the knife in time.

I threw out the favorite doggy toy of the Doberman when she dropped it in a pile of dry leaves I was raking. After a couple of days of both the dog and myself looking for the toy together, I found it in the trash bag I had thrown the leaves in. Garbage day had not arrived yet.

Back in the 1960's, my Godparents had a small concrete incinerator with a chimney and a metal lid. Not sure how it worked.

trash.jpeg

I had a complete disc brake setup off a 73 duster upper a arms and all, even the p valve for a future changeover. It was stored in under a bench in my fathers shop. Had a bunch of slant six stuff I didn't need like some bellhousings and such. He was hauling off scrap metal and I told him he could throw away the six stuff, he threw away my disc set up and left the junk I didn't need.

How do I know what I've throwed away if it's gone?

Not me, but a buddy of mine has a 68 Barracuda Formula S 383 4 speed convertible. It had been in a fender bender in 1971 and was put away in the garage of a rental house his dad owned. Fast forward to 2008 when his dad dies. They brought the car home and proceeded to “start” on the car by throwing the radiator on the scrap pile. When I got there to finally check out the car, I asked him where the radiator was, he said it was dented up and bent and that he pitched it. Only about a $1000 radiator, so I went to the scrap pile and dug it out and hit him over the head with it and told him to leave the car alone unless I was there. He must’ve taken that to heart because he hasn’t touched it since.

BC44E090-BA97-40DF-A1FF-7A80F8434634.jpeg

Wife helped while cleaning shop, gathered boxes and piled them in fire pit for burning. Next day i lit it up. Half hour later there was a small explosion. She never checked the boxes,or grabbed one that had a new lift strut in it.
65 bucks, brand new. I wasnt pleased.
Lots got thrown away over the years,scrapped lots of good parts when i would clean out my sheds.
All the stuff i need now. Boxes of carb parts, brackets and linkages.

Young and dumb replaced left inner fender and threw old one away with data plate attached!

Not like I haven't thrown stuff away.. but I remember in the mid/late 80s and early 90s when my best friend and I would have spring and fall spots at Carlisle. The stuff people would throw out! I got a 70? E body wood steering wheel out of the trash, there was an a body complete rear that was left behind... I took a full 67 chevelle 1/4 panel NEW... used it to patch my Demon trunk... it was crazy the stuff that we pay big bucks for getting thrown out cause no one wanted to drag it back home

Dang little potato peeler. We have lost about half dozen of them over the years. Thrown out with the peelings.

i never have (not that i remember) but the wife has a tendency to "accidentally" throw out my clothes
most notable my iron maiden shirt

49a75828c7a4757ac044e730a305dd30.jpg

d743c9ea58f25dca39c287f11f7bc2e6.jpg

One Sunday I was working on my 4wd van and when I was finished I went upstairs to shower. As I undressed the wife asked if I had any attachment to my greasy clothes because if I didn't she preferred to throw them away instead of washing them. I told her go ahead and pitch them. Now normally I get up @ 4am to go to work but on this particular week I had to go to Altoona PA. for work and didn't have to be there to 5pm Monday so I slept in. As I was getting dressed I asked my wife if she had my wallet and she said "No, where did you leave it"? I said they were in my work clothes. Of course since they were so greasy she just threw them in the trash. Well Monday is also trash day and since I slept in, the trash truck already came. We spent 5 hours at the dump looking for my wallet to no avail then had to go to the DMV/MVA to get a new license and get new credit cards all before I had to leave for Altoona.

We camped at a beach in Mexico once that had a sand hill that everyone blew up fireworks on so us kids dug up a bunch of live firecrackers that had no fuses. We collected them in a paper bag and you guessed it, the bag was tossed in the fire on the morning we were leaving. The firecrackers started going off and campers were running from the fire, hilarious! I tossed a 273/4 short block onto a vacant lot in the middle of nowhere on my truck route, it only had a spun rod bearing! :BangHead:

I scraped a perfectly good slant six 904 transmission years ago when I blew up my slant six. Everyone told me that the slant six wouldn't work on a v8 so I scraped it I didnt know that the valve body and all the internals where the same!!

-
Back