Stupid coupler question

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit to rebuild the steering coupler in my Duster.
I have a stupid question what is the tiny pin in the lower right hand of the package for?

JNxhzl.jpg

It goes in the actual coupler housing on the end towards the steering wheel. You'll have to remove the old one after you remove the clip and the rubber seal in order to slide the coupler apart to remove the shoes. It prevents the coupler housing from separating from the steering shaft.

Thanks,
I will have to check the coupler in the morning.
The column I bought was used and I asked the PO to give me the coupler, which was taped to the side.

Very interesting.... I was wondering what that pin was for as well. I've rebuilt two columns and nether of them had that pin when I pulled them apart or a location for it.. At least now I finally know what that goes to as well. Thanks

Come to think of it, I just took the coupler out of the parts washer this evening.
I thought it had a burr on it.
Maybe it is a pin.
I check tomorrow evening.

Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 240
After a dunk in solvent and bead blasting there is a pin.
Thanks guys

Does anyone one have a picture of how it goes back together, I am unsure of the thin metal clip in first picture I posted on the lower left hand side.

I just got my kit from the dealer and I have a stupid question. My column had a ton of grease in the coupler. Do you fill the coupler with grease before sliding the seal on and crimping the cap?

I just got my kit from the dealer and I have a stupid question. My column had a ton of grease in the coupler. Do you fill the coupler with grease before sliding the seal on and crimping the cap?
Service manual says fill it approx a half inch from the top before sliding the parts in. It will be full when done.

-
Back