stupid Questions sorry..

-

RonF

Reaction score
I'm trying to time my 225 that I just reinstalled into my 74 Duster. The timing light shows on the circle in the middle of the adjustment (see picture). Is this the correct timing? or should it be advanced from center? Also.. (the second picture) I forgot where the hose goes from the valve cover. can anybody tell me? Sorry in advance! Ron :)

P.S. the engine runs but stalls out on idle... still trying to adjust timing and carb.

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 272
  • q2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 286
That's your pcv on the valve cover it goes to the base of the carburetor. The timing on a 74 225 engine is Right at TDC or right in the middle of the little scale you have pictured on zero. A 198 engine is 2 1/2 degrees before TDC

Thanks for the help! the people on this site are great! :)

0 timing is for emissions in that year. Don't be afraid to advance it several degrees. Advanced would be below the hole as pictured.

The PCV hose missing would be expected to cause the engine to be rough or die at idle... easy to fix as per the above advice.

I doubt it could idle with an open PCV port.
Slantys idle down to 500 in gear easy enough. Easier when you give them the timing they want.If you increase the idle timing to something like 10, you will need to limit the power timing. Dont forget to hook the vacuum advance line back up, from the dizzy to the spark-port on the carb.
Good luck

Give it more advanced timing, as long as you don't get pinging going up a hill (wide throttle). As mentioned, you don't want max timing (high rpm) to exceed ~35 deg, so might have to play with the centrifugal weights & springs to get both. More advance at idle will make it run smoother and get better mileage w/ lower emissions.

Vacuum advance is your friend for cruise economy. Just make sure it isn't getting too much. 45 degrees total should be adequate for good MPG and cool running.

Get yourself a factory service manual and read it.
Not a cheap Hanes or Chilton one, but a factory one.

-
Back