Stupid Tool Tricks

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Shaping some aluminum sheet metal to finish a project. Times like this I wish that I had a small metal cutting scroll or a mini band saw. Then it hit me, clamp the jig saw in a vice, worked well.
Was a lot easier having the cutting blade held and only having to move the material.

4D4B9731-FBEF-4615-B11B-DA38642A52AA.jpeg

AB29E003-A0F0-4A88-AAF3-E2BA9E11D8AC.jpeg

DF553EED-E16D-4214-8A60-9FA274BD4095.jpeg

Decades ago a then boss bought a tree transplanter for something like 15-20K sight unseen. It was mounted on a long wheelbase Ford about a 2 ton. He wanted me to shorted the frame of the truck. This entailed fish-plating the frame, and he wanted me to bolt some big plates across the frame. This amounted to drilling?? about a dozen 1/2" holes on each frame, or more (LOL this was in the 80's I've forgotten)

Anyhow, we had a big ol all metal 1/2 drill motor. "It just so happened" that the top of the drill motor case--where the aux pipe handle screwed in--was FLAT. I manufactured a square tube "jig" to fit the drill that turned the drill into a big "C clamp." Damn thing worked perfect. I drilled the holes in the plates, then clamped one plate into the frame and used it for pilot. Just threw that big ol anchor of a drill around there and tightened the screw!!!

Resembled this one only it was a "Wall" or "Wen" or something

drill.jpg

Worked "the idea" was similar to this......

drillpress.jpg

Last edited:
Did that exact thing before I bought a used band saw.

-
Back