Stupidest "technical" advise I've heard lately

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So, it's warmin' up here locally

An' o' curse, the local "noose" always has to have "energy saving tips" on how to turn on your A/C at what temperature you should set the thermostat..........you've all heard this

And we hear from the talking heads...........

Advice from some service guy I've never heard of........

and from the "Avista" power company, who's logo is "we can screw you better than anybody."

AND we hear from some dum ........... at "SNAP" (energy assistance). Now their website doesn't even divine what "SNAP" stands for, do they know?

ANY HOW............this woman is explaining that you should run your ceiling fan CLOCKWISE because bla bla bla this sucks the cool air up and around

REALLY ?? I should run the ceiling fan CLOCK wise? REALLY?? WTF?? boss I do? if the

FREEKIN FAN BLADES ARE PITCHED THE OTHER WAY!!!!!????

I've had the best luck with counter clockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter. But WTF do I know?

You want to hear stupid advice... I was at the auto parts counter a few days ago and a customer was telling the counter guy how his AC wasn't working. The counter man asked if it was 'blowing'? Customer "yes". Counter man "OK so that eliminates the compressor." And no, I didn't enter the conversation.

You want to hear stupid advice... I was at the auto parts counter a few days ago and a customer was telling the counter guy how his AC wasn't working. The counter man asked if it was 'blowing'? Customer "yes". Counter man "OK so that eliminates the compressor." And no, I didn't enter the conversation.

:banghead:

I'm afraid I'm not that tactful. I've been known to explode with "BULLSHIT"!! for no obvious reason

I would've had to jump in on that one!

The most ridiculous thing I've read lately was a recent post in a different thread but I wont go there.
About the ceiling fan direction... A window fan will move air in or out the window depending on fan rotation. A ceiling fan is in a room/box. It can only move the same air around within the box. Heat rises, cold falls, simple physics. So yes the hotter air is up near the ceiling. In the summer time I leave the ceiling fan off so the hotter air stays up there as long as the simple physics will allow. I do have 11 foot high vaulted ceilings. Standing, sitting, I'm never more than about half way up there
In the winter time I do run the ceiling fan to move the hotter air down here where I am.
One more point... A ceiling fan blowing upward will cause a lot more cob webs in the corners and discoloration on the ceiling especially where it is a textured ceiling.
You'll buy more paint from the same stores that sell the fans LMAO
Sad part is you cant run your fan in either direction while you're painting above it.

I like it when the local papers run their articles on getting your daily driver ready for winter and summer. Some of the most inane **** in there I keep expecting to read "change the air in your tires from winter air to summer air."

The one that irritates me the most is when the press pushes the idea "of only take your car to ASE certified shops." The ability to take a multiple choice test does not denote your ability to actually turn a wrench.

Some of the most inane **** in there I keep expecting to read "change the air in your tires from winter air to summer air."

Here in SoCal we're fortunate to have both beaches and local mountains to visit when we want to. Of course, everyone knows it's cooler up in the mountains in both summer and winter. So for years now it's been fun to tell those who'll fall for it to drive up to the mountains and replace the air in your tires with mountain air so the tires will run cooler in the summertime.

After Logan's post, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that at the local auto parts store sometime!

Here in SoCal we're fortunate to have both beaches and local mountains to visit when we want to. Of course, everyone knows it's cooler up in the mountains in both summer and winter. So for years now it's been fun to tell those who'll fall for it to drive up to the mountains and replace the air in your tires with mountain air so the tires will run cooler in the summertime.]

That's just too funny!

Here in SoCal we're fortunate to have both beaches and local mountains to visit when we want to. Of course, everyone knows it's cooler up in the mountains in both summer and winter. So for years now it's been fun to tell those who'll fall for it to drive up to the mountains and replace the air in your tires with mountain air so the tires will run cooler in the summertime.

After Logan's post, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that at the local auto parts store sometime!

Thanks Ken, my ribs hurt form laughing...

Back in the bad ol' days I inflated a low tire with R22 (freon) to get home. The next morning I thought about it and stopped at a garage to get the R22 out because it expands and could blow the tire when hot. People looked at me funny when I changed the "air" in my tire.

Outside a liquer store one day I watched 5 guys trying to get an old LTD started that was flooded. So the smartest one in the group said it was out of oil. I watched as they filled it till it came out the valve cover. Since I had not seen this particular method used before, I stayed to watch. Nothing happened so I left.

Back in the bad ol' days I inflated a low tire with R22 (freon) to get home. The next morning I thought about it and stopped at a garage to get the R22 out because it expands and could blow the tire when hot. People looked at me funny when I changed the "air" in my tire.

Ever seen anybody try and put about 4 cans of "flat fix" into a tire because they figguurreedd than one was not enough?

Outside a liquer store one day I watched 5 guys trying to get an old LTD started that was flooded. So the smartest one in the group said it was out of oil. I watched as they filled it till it came out the valve cover. Since I had not seen this particular method used before, I stayed to watch. Nothing happened so I left.

Had a woman tow her car into a shop I worked at once. Her check engine light was on and the car absolutely wouldn't roll over. At all. A little investigation and just a hunch pulled the dipstick. Oil all the way up to the dipstick handle. She thought the check engine light meant low on oil. Pushed it into the shop and dropped about 14 quarts of brand new oil out of it.

Probably one of those idiots who reads the paper about how to winterize her car, too. :roll:

Ever seen anybody try and put about 4 cans of "flat fix" into a tire because they figguurreedd than one was not enough?

Never watched it, but after working as a tech at a tire shop, I've seen enough fix a flat in a tire to almost have melted the tire off the wheel.

Took an hour to get the wheel clean so we could mount another tire.

Well once as a young man around ten or so. I witnessed a couple of neighborhood porch mechanics try to hot shot a battery. Conversation went something like this. First dope. hey I don't think this charger is any good it's been hooked up for hours and nothing. Second dope well best way to test it would be first unplug it to be safe, then cut of the power cord , strip back the ends, and plug it back end and touch the ends to the battery posts to make sure it's not the cord that's bad.

My dad was in earshot and said come on inside son. Sometimes the best and safest way to learn something is not to stand to close.

I hate to say it, but my dad's idea of working on a car was always to bang on something with a hammer and rev the engine. Don't know if he ever fixed anything that way, but I do remember we were always getting different vehicles every few years or so.

A guy I work with that thinks he is smarter than all of us tells me "come check out my new mower"( Home Depot delivered it, started it for him showed him how to use it and they left.) he had been running it all day. When i got there I noticed the oil light was on. He said it had been on ever since he started it. I asked did you check the oil? He replied "no"it didn't have much gas in it so I figured it didn't have any oil either. I read the manual and it said it holds 2.3 liters of oil he said. You guessed it, he poured 2.3 quarts of oil in it. When I pulled the dip stick I could see the oil in the tube.

A guy I work with that thinks he is smarter than all of us tells me "come check out my new mower"( Home Depot delivered it, started it for him showed him how to use it and they left.) he had been running it all day. When i got there I noticed the oil light was on. He said it had been on ever since he started it. I asked did you check the oil? He replied "no"it didn't have much gas in it so I figured it didn't have any oil either. I read the manual and it said it holds 2.3 liters of oil he said. You guessed it, he poured 2.3 quarts of oil in it. When I pulled the dip stick I could see the oil in the tube.
Not sure what the point your trying to make is ? you do know litres are bigger than quarts ? and even so a quart is .946 litres so the difference in 2.3 quarts and 2.3 litres is 120 ml which is 4 ounces and it would be 4 ounces low not high .
Thanks to our OP for creating a subliminal test , seems several have jumped in with both feet .

-
Back