Style of connector to replace bullet connectors in ignition switch plug?

-

DionR

Reaction score
What's a good style connector to use if I replaced the entire ignition switch plug? Not very familiar with the current styles, but l know the Weatherpack stuff isn't design to carry enough load. Like to find something that has plenty of capacity and easily found and purchased.

I've got a problem with the ignition switch where the main power wire loses the connection at the plug if I wiggle it. I've cleaned it, made sure it was fully seated in the plug, flared out the bullet so it was bigger in diameter and squeezed the other plug so it is smaller. I can still get the connection to drop out if I wiggle it. Granted, not as easily, but it still does it.

I know later on Mopar figured out this was a problem and at some point rigs like the D100 started using a blade connection for the main red wire and the black accessory wire. I've got plenty of the female side of that connection but would have to order the male side. So not a bad option, but...

In the near future I expect to do a Hemi swap into my car and at that time I will probably change my ignition switch out for an F-Body one. This one poses it's own set of problems like having 2 power wires that need to be merged into one to work with the A-Body wiring. See this post but read the whole thread - Clean 12v switched source that is hot cranking and running

I would just use one of the male blade connectors for the F-Body switch but I can't find them with the big square cutout to lock into the plug.

So thinking about just swapping to some other modern style plug and sidestepping the whole issue.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks!

I'd really prefer something with a plug though. Something you don't have to take a picture of to get the wire back in the right places if you pull the column.

Looks like the Metri Pack 630 series has the capacity? Anyone familiar with those?

Also looking at Deutsch connectors, but haven't figured out if they have the capacity or not.

Worse case, I will splice the F-Body blades onto the wires or buy the Packard 56 blades I would need. Just thought maybe there was a newer connector that would be better.

What year car? I have a few plugs for ignition switch. 2 different ones I pictured are for a 67 cuda.

20220725_183804.jpg

20220725_183822.jpg

What year car? I have a few plugs for ignition switch. 2 different ones I pictured are for a 67 cuda.

View attachment 1715961052

View attachment 1715961053

Sorry, I should have said that.

I'm working on my '74 Duster, so it is the flat connector with all bullet plugs. The style that is in the steering column and runs wires down to the bottom of the column before plugging into the harness.

1S6141__ra_p.jpg

-
Back