Sub frame ties and e brakes

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
Folks - I need to tap into the collective wisdom of this site for my project. I am putting together a 70 swinger with a 340 and four speed, originally a 198 /6 and 3 on the tree. I have fabricated some frame ties with supplies from the local steel shop and as I prepare to install them I see the e brake cable runs directly through the drivers side. My question is how can this best be addressed? Note that we are doing this mostly on a small a budget as possible as a father son project. I did do a quick search here for information on ties and saw some great information, but nothing which addressed the ebrake issue. If there is a previous post which does I would be grateful if someone could steer me to it.

Thanks in advance!

just loosen it up, install the ties, then re hook up. your choice if you want it over or under.
also make sure to install the tie to the right of the hole for the cable in the T-bar cross member, which conveniently lines you up with the rear subframe

just loosen it up, install the ties, then re hook up. your choice if you want it over or under.
also make sure to install the tie to the right of the hole for the cable in the T-bar cross member, which conveniently lines you up with the rear subframe

Pics?

Thanks folks, I am fabricating my ties now so really no pics yet, I will post some in a few days when I get the ties assembled. I likely went a bit overboard as I picked up some 2" x 3" steel tube, couple of 4' long pieces from the local supplier. I am cutting the top off the rear and sliding them over the rear part frame and welding in place that way. I think I will have room on top to run the e brake now that I have been pointed that way. I appreciate the support, that is what makes this such a great place!

alitle late i guess but i used 2"x3½" standing,cutting thru the floors in the rearfootwells and made notches in the front of the subframeconnectors to clear the E-Brake parts. the install is not completed yet but it will get done this weekend unless my job gets in the way once again..

here is a picture what I did but I haven't got to that part yet. I think I will drill a hole and put pipe and weld it in.

Attachments

• SAM_0405 (1).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 182
here is a picture what I did but I haven't got to that part yet. I think I will drill a hole and put pipe and weld it in.
Thats what i did but before i welded them in, I think it was easier?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 181
Very nice looking installation, I didn't want to cut floor but sure looks like you did a nice job and I appreciate the information, I don't move too fast!

Muddacres is right on.us car tool connectors laser cut to tightly fit contour of floor pans and a black steel pipe nipple.very clean install

I put a section of 1/2inch tube through at the same angle as the cable. Welded that in and passed the cable through the tube. I also covered the cable with some fuel hose with grease in the hose so that it wouldn't rust and not rattle.

I put a section of 1/2inch tube through at the same angle as the cable. Welded that in and passed the cable through the tube. I also covered the cable with some fuel hose with grease in the hose so that it wouldn't rust and not rattle.

saw this somewhere on here, looked amazing!

-
Back