subaru guys??

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i know its not a mopar but its what god gave me so i am workin with it lol.

i wrecked a 93 impreza a few months ago i have since got that car and bought anothr one to make one good car. the wrecked one is manual with a good motor tranny diff everything but frame and body. the other one is auto with no motor and idk about the rest. my plan is to put my manual trany with motor in the not wrecked car. anyone ever convert a subie to manual? it seems pretty straight forward but if anyone has can you let me know some tips or what im gonna run into? thanks tyler

as far as I remember everything should be a straight bolt it, you should be able to even bolt in an sti drive-train in the '93. the only diff would be the dash.

no worries I was surrounded by subi people for a year and a half when I worked parts at the dealer.
Drive mag has an article on a swap like that Ill look to see if I still have it.

I would think anything of that late a model would have a ecu. Those would be different.

I agree with redfish, but also with Ross. If you have everything it should bolt right up. But the ecu will be another story. I would take all the ecu components out of your wrecked car and swap them to the auto. As well as the switch on the clutch pedal, reverse switch for the lights. The gauge cluster will probably be different too, as well as the lock cylinder i.e. auto cars having to be in park to take the keys out of the ignition. No doubt it can be done, will defiantly be some work ahead though, good luck...take some pics along the way

I agree with redfish, but also with Ross. If you have everything it should bolt right up. But the ecu will be another story. I would take all the ecu components out of your wrecked car and swap them to the auto. As well as the switch on the clutch pedal, reverse switch for the lights. The gauge cluster will probably be different too, as well as the lock cylinder i.e. auto cars having to be in park to take the keys out of the ignition. No doubt it can be done, will defiantly be some work ahead though, good luck...take some pics along the way

most defiantly things like that will be different, as long as he can swap everything thought the bodys should accept it fairly easily.

kninda like an A except I don't think he has a hump to cut lol

lol ya, minus the hump but add a ton of wires, off topic but are those older Imprezas N/A or are they turbo?

ya its a 1.8 n/a for now lol i do have the ecu and all. anyone know for sure will i have to swap instrument clusters? i was hopeing the wiring would be the same just different plugs pluged in. i think the instrument cluster on the manual car had prndl on it so made me think they were the same. how about steering column? they look the same but idk. i will try to take pics i lost my camera tho

I would take everything out of the wrecked car and swap it to the auto. Just to make sure there are no surprises the first time you try and start it. Because if you skip something chances are it wont start. I worked with a guy that has a honda accord and wanted to do a manual conversion. I told him I would do it for $3000. Although for that it had some cutting of the tunnel and under the dash. But the same thing, he had an ECU out of a manual car, engine, tranny, axles, dash, center console, steering console...everything. It really isnt hard, just alot of small things to watch out for. If you werent so far away I'd be done to help out. I enjoy doing stuff like this.

I saw an article on the web not long ago about a gut who bought a wrecked STI from and insurance company and swapped all the stuff to a 2004 WRX. The WRX was an automatic, limited edition. It didn't appear to be a big ordeal because everything he needed was sitting fifteen feet apart. As I recall his biggest issue was finding another front hub assembly for a STI as the auto car had a different bolt pattern and the one from the STI got damaged in the wreck. I searched the net for that article but couldn't find it. Maybe you can have better success. Good luck with the swap.

lol sweet. i have this week to do it so i hope its not to bad. i think im gonna do what i know i need to do first then if i have time do the rest or if it dosent start and all the obvious things are right

I saw an article on the web not long ago about a gut who bought a wrecked STI from and insurance company and swapped all the stuff to a 2004 WRX. The WRX was an automatic, limited edition. It didn't appear to be a big ordeal because everything he needed was sitting fifteen feet apart. As I recall his biggest issue was finding another front hub assembly for a STI as the auto car had a different bolt pattern and the one from the STI got damaged in the wreck. I searched the net for that article but couldn't find it. Maybe you can have better success. Good luck with the swap.

musta been an '05+ sti

-
Back