subframe connector drain holes

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
if you look at any factory frame rail there are holes on the bottom ...not sure why those holes are there but last year when my demon got flooded the water escaped through those holes and dried out.

so now that I am putting in subframe connectors I was thinking of drilling two holes on the bottom side of the connector as an extension of the factory rail, so that way I can shoot undercoating in there and in the very unlikely event we have a freak summer storm here again and the car is parked on the bottom of a hill and gets flooded then water can get out and dry out.....

what do you guys think.

I mean nobody ever wants to imagine their car underwater but you never know whats going to happen tomorrow, so is this a good or bad idea?

Sounds like a good idea to have drain holes

Rani, you've brought up something that I'm sure for most of us, has never crossed our minds. I do have to wonder though that a place to let water out, can also let water in. I really don't know how much benefit it would be???

Many of the holes on the bottom of most cars from the factory were used for assembly line procedures and alignment points for frame jigs incase of collision repair.

Good thinking though. I'm curious to know what others think.......And I hope you never get caught in another "high water" situation. :D

Get the US Car Tool connectors. When you are don installing them, there's no way for water to get in.

Get the US Car Tool connectors. When you are don installing them, there's no way for water to get in.

That's as long as the welds are good and continuous. It's amazing where water will go and how hard it can be to get rid of.

Mine are closed in solid on both ends, and built that way for this exact reason.
When I built them, I cut the opening to slide over the existing subframe and folded some of the cut section down inside the tube and welded it closed.
Where the small line is in the pic below where it says "Sealed in here"

Attachments

• subframe.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 277
I've built and installed probably 7 sets of sub frame connectors over the years (2x3 .120 wall). The last two sets I drilled 5/8" drain holes, one front, one rear as I have always been concerned about water getting trapped inside the uncoated interior of the tube and rusting away. I figure at least the holes will allow draining and air flow to eventually dry out any moisture, and will form a protective surface coat of rust but a sealed tube with water in it will just keep corroding away. I did the same hole treatment on my radiator cross bar.

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 304
I too have considered this. I decided long ago if I install connectors they will have "drain" holes in them. They may not be necessary or needed but I think they won't hurt.

Statement was not directed at your post TB. Are you positive there are NO pinholes in your "sealed tube"? I was trying to make the point that trapped water, without a way to dry out fairly quickly, + bare steel = corrosion. Think seams in lower quarter panels, front/rear windshield corners, floor pans, front fender lowers, ect. The amount of time it would take sub frame connectors to corrode enough to effect their structure makes it a moot point anyway.

If you consider the thickness of the steel and the fact that most people won't be driving their cars under harsh weather conditions (winter and salty roads), it probably wouldn't matter if you did put drain holes in or not.
Here's a good example. My brother had a house fire 12 years ago and lost everything.
He had inside the house a new mild steel Art Morrison cage kit, welded back half, and subframe connectors for a Challenger race car he was planning to build. When we cleaned up the mess from the fire, we put all of that stuff in the back 40 because he didn't have the heart to throw it out. It has been out there rain and shine, winter and summer since then, and all it has is surface rust with little to no evidence of pitting. The fire was intense enough to burn most of the mill scale off of the steel and warped all of it considerably.
My point is, unless you are going to drive the car on salty roads in the winter and never wash the car, it probably does not matter about the drain holes whether you install them or not.
i think the original frame rails will be gone long before the subframe connectors because they have a 40 plus year head start.

Statement was not directed at your post TB. Are you positive there are NO pinholes in your "sealed tube"? I was trying to make the point that trapped water, without a way to dry out fairly quickly, + bare steel = corrosion. Think seams in lower quarter panels, front/rear windshield corners, floor pans, front fender lowers, ect. The amount of time it would take sub frame connectors to corrode enough to effect their structure makes it a moot point anyway.

No, I know it wasn't and it was just a general question.
The welder (my brother) is certified for hazardous waste containment and oil pipeline with Xray verification so his welds are hugely overkill for the car.
On top of all that they are undercoated.

I think I would trust it for a submarine components, but like was said above "they would last longer than the rest of the car anyway."

Just driving in the rain will let water in everywhere there`s a gap. There are drain holes (slots) in the bottom of your doors for drainange. The large holes in the floor and trunk pans are for drainage at the factory after being dipped in tanks for prep/primer treatments. Small holes fro drains and also a little lightening are a good ides in my opinion.

put a couple holes in mine when we did them..

DSCN6186.jpg

DSCN6194.jpg

DSCN6196.jpg

put a couple holes in mine when we did them..

DSCN6194.jpg

Joe, do your connectors hang a little lower than most? I'm going to build a set and I've been paying attention to what size tubing - and what gauge is being used.

I also like the idea of the drain / vent holes FWIW

-
Back