Suggested spark gap for .......

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
360 Magnum, Accel Super coil, MP distributor, MSD6AL, stock compression, streetish cam

Im reading . 45 thousandths for MSD boox

We run 040 if we do not backcut the ground piece.

Never found a darn thing on the Dyno or Track by going
bigger. I have gone as far as 060 with no benefit!

FLAME AWAY!

Another issue that I noticed was that
the spark plug wires tended to go away
in about 1/2 the time. I had to replace they
every year.

I do not know why but they did degrade much faster.

Another issue that I noticed was that
the spark plug wires tended to go away
in about 1/2 the time. I had to replace they
every year.

I do not know why but they did degrade much faster.
It’s gotta be because your shoving more energy down the wire to make the spark jump the larger gap.

360 Magnum, Accel Super coil, MP distributor, MSD6AL, stock compression, streetish cam

Im reading . 45 thousandths for MSD boox
.045 is a good start. What’s the compression ratio? Higher the ratio the lower the gap.

Which Super coil?

the 14001 is for standard ignition systems not CDI. This is designed for an input voltage of 12 to 15 volts, switched by points or a magnetic trigger.

The CDI systems need a specific Coil/E-core coil, to deal with the 525 volts being input to it in near-instantaneous bursts.

The transformer requirements are completely different.

My 367 is running the 14001, with Champion copper plugs, and it started out firing .045 gaps in about 2001/or 2002. The same plugs were still in this engine until less than 10 miles ago, with around 90,000 miles on them, and she still revved to 7500, and still idles down to 500/550, and when I slam the pedal down, all hell breaks loose.
So, I'm gonna say that ,
the 14001, fired by the typical Mopar-style Ecu, through the recommended ballast resistor, doesn't care a hoot about the stinking plug-gaps.
I am running Jacobs Wires, circa same years.

GTX John,

What type of plug wires do you claim were 'going away', needed yearly replacement. What symptom of failure were you getting. I have spiral wound MSD wires, been on 20 yrs & see no deterioration with 060 plug gaps.

GTX John,

What type of plug wires do you claim were 'going away', needed yearly replacement. What symptom of failure were you getting. I have spiral wound MSD wires, been on 20 yrs & see no deterioration with 060 plug gaps.
MSD 8.8 Wires
They do not quit working but resistance
just get higher. The class racing we do is often
determined by a hundred or two sometime less.
I replace the coil wire ever 20 runs or a couple
of months as it gets 8 times the use. We run MSD 7
ignition with best HVC coil.

Aaaaaaand ….????

How did you like it?
the Amp didn't last very long.
-------------------------------------------
I had to ship it back, for warranty, on my dime IIRC. But they fixed it and shipped it back on their dime.
While it was away, I reinstalled my Orange box.
When the Jacob's got back, I installed it, side-by-side, just long enough to prove it worked, then put it back in the box, where it has been for over 20 years.
Then I installed a Jacob's Timing retard unit, which has a built in amp and disconnected the Orange box.
The idea was to sell the Jacob's, but, I just couldn't bring myself to put it up for sale, knowing it's history.
I always thought I might put the Jacob's on my old D100, but it's still running just fine on the transplanted Orange box, so ....................... There it sits on the shelf of also-rans.
----------------------------------------------------------
BTW
Between the;
Jacob's CDI Multi-strike, and the
Non-CDI/Kettering type Single Fires, (Orange box and the Dial-back module),
I wouldn't be able to tell you which one the car was running on, at any given moment. And yes, I ran the Jacobs on their matching E-core coil, which, even tho it was working fine, is now also on the Also-Rans shelf-of-Shame, ....... along with a bunch of other stuff.
But the wires are doing great! and
I love that Jacob's Dial-Back module,
I'd say I love it about the same as the GVod;
if I had to give one of them up, that would be a tough choice.

@AJ/FormS Thanks AJ. If you’re ever up for selling it, look me up.
Which exact model is the Jacob’s ignition?

@AJ/FormS Thanks AJ. If you’re ever up for selling it, look me up.
Which exact model is the Jacob’s ignition?
PRO-STREET energy pak, 826-72-580
Comes with adjustable Rev-Limiter, by hundreds to 9900.
on the base is 37050-8/3240 A
anodized blue.
1711852199445.png

-
Back