Suggestions for a Warmed Over 360?

-

hduff

Reaction score
A friend gave me a MOPAR 360/Torqueflite 727 combo. The original engine and tranny in his very old Winnebago was shot, so he pulled a low-mileage unit from a junkyard sedan and used it in the motorhome until the roof collapsed in a snowstorm and he hauled it off to the salvage yard, but not before he gave me the motor/tranny for free.

The block number is 4006830-36-06 and it has 974 heads, 2BBL carb, and an electronic distributor. While externally grungy from leaky valve cover gaskets, internally it looks to be in relatively good shape, no sludge, plugs read good, oil looks OK. It probably has about 30,000 miles total on it since new according to my friend.

I've always used GM motors before and have no experience with MOPAR, but from what I've read the 360 should be able to kick some butt vs. a comparable SBC. The MOPAR builds on Horsepower TV were interesting and motivated me to consider this motor, but again, from what I've read in other posts here, those guys didn't do a very good job of component selection.

I'd like to keep the short block and heads stock for now (to keep the cost down), so what would you guys recommend for manifold/carb, ignition, cam? I have my eye on a 1950 Chevy pickup for sale locally that lacks a drivetrain and this seems like a fun engine swap to do (besides annoying my die-hard Chevy buddies).

Suggestions?

LOL well, OoooooooooooKAY!

MoPar in a Chevy........

Well, if you could give me some perameters or a description of what you would like out of the combo and what you want out of the truck, some help from you in what gears the truck has and it's weight would be great1

In general...;

For a mild upgrade over what you have... A OE iron 4bbl. intake and a T-Q can and should both be able to be found local and cheap. Approx. $50, carb would need a rebuild kit at that price.

A OE 4bbl. cam to make a stock re-making of the offerings at the time would work well.
Mill the heads down a bit for some squeeezzzzeee, add headers.

Good for 350 + HP probably about 380 lbs. of TQ.

Stepping up the program, a RPM or Weiand with a more agressive cam shaft and bowl ported heads would be a nice street engine. No need for larger valves. Just a bowl porting and a pushrod pinch area opening enlargement will do and do well.

The biggest problem is the compression ratio which is probably in the high 7's. NOT the heads valves. Oh, theres no such thing as a 2bbl. or 4bbl head. Just a big valve and small valve (AKA 318 or 360 head)

Onm the trany, a trans-go shift kit is all you'll need, IMO a trans cooler is a great thing. Deep pans available from MoPar. (Look through summit racing for parts reasonably priced.)
IMO 2-1/2 exhaust will cover the bases, mello to nicely powered.

OH, forgot, being the MoPar lifter is at .904, it's large, which means it can handle a very agrressssive cam by compare to the Chevy engine. Look at a Lunati or Hugesengines .com cam shaft with there springs.

You'll notice poor pushrod angles with the MoPar, which reduces actual lift at the valve.

After that, I think you'll find the engine very capable.

Sign, the "X" Chevy guy. ;)

You might want to look at the hughes whiplash cams I have no experience with them but they are supposedly made for low compression motors

About 2 years ago I owned a 66 chevy halfton pickup that had a 60's poly 318 and pushbutton 727 transmission in it, even had the pushbuttons up on the dash looked as chevy made it that way, sounds like a fun project.

Another thing to check if you plan on running that 727 is that most motor homes and trucks did not have a slip yoke for the drive line and had a short tail housing. If that is the case then you will have to tear it apart if it's going in a car. I found it easier to find another trans. The 904 robs less power and can handle quite a bit of abuse. Just a thought.

Another thing to check if you plan on running that 727 is that most motor homes and trucks did not have a slip yoke for the drive line and had a short tail housing. If that is the case then you will have to tear it apart if it's going in a car. I found it easier to find another trans. The 904 robs less power and can handle quite a bit of abuse. Just a thought.

I find it interesting and fascinating the differant things that ma Mopar did.. lol.. I got my 360/727 combo out of a mid 80's motor home.. the 727 has a slip yoke and standard tail shaft.. went right in my Dart with no issues.. (obviously I had to change the oil pickup and oil pan tho) Thats an interesting fact though that most of the motor homes and trucks had those differances in the tranny's...

I appreciate the advice. I''ll check out the info mentioned and start acquiring parts. I've been cl;eaning up the shop and found enough 1" square tubing to build an engine stand with casters so I can move it around ofr now.

BTW, my buddy is putting a stroked 360 in his '40 Chevy with a Jag sedan IRS. Unconventional combos are much more fun than the boring 350/350 package.

-
Back