Suggestions on A/C kit w/heat or just A/C add-on

-

Needswork

Reaction score
I was planning to add A/C to my 67 Dart project that was originally a non-A/C car. The car is a small block manual trans car. I figured on getting the Classic or Vintage kit that have both heat and A/C. Both vendors also have a universal A/C only add-on that fits under the dash.

That A/C-only kit is less expensive and I suspect the A/C works just as well. Is it an advantage or disadvantage to keep the original heater box? The "full" kits require the passenger vent to be removed. Not a big deal, but perhaps one advantage with the A/C-only is you can keep the vent.

Thoughts/suggestions/user experiences?

I guess it all depends on what you want. A/c, even in dash factory stuff looked like an afterthought. My recommendation is If you heater box is restored with a new core, and foams, hang a stand alone A/C unit under the dash. If your missing everything under there buy a heat/AC unit and go with it.

I saw a setup on evilbay that came with under dash evaporator unit w vents and controls, crimp fittings, hoses, condensor, dryer, low pressure switch, and a 2 pulley sanden SD508 for $358. You have to provide the compressor mount brackets, and pulleys for your application. I found sanden compressor mount brackets for SBM for $68. And i bet M body V8 pulleys will work.

This one. I am figuring if your resourceful enough with finding the remaining parts you can probably put this together pulleys, brackets etc for about $500

Screenshot_20180502-060226.png

-
Back