Suggestions on which plugs to go with

-
Turk,
My 6 yr old grandson does better red crosses than you do.
Maybe you could learn something from him, because you do not seem to learning much of anything else.

And you certainly were not using Plat or Irid plugs in the 70s because they were not available until the 90s.....

Practice up on your reading comprehension bro.

I said FINE WIRE plugs in the 1970’s. The theory being the same.

Better luck next time.

Turk,
I always have better luck the first time, not next time. There was never any spark plugs in the 70s that had 0.040"or 0.060" diam centre electrodes, the size used for Irid plugs.

Scody 21,
OK, brain surgeon. My Racing Spark Plug catalog [ below ] is 1994, before Irid plugs appeared en masse.
Notice 'NGK racing spark plugs' at the top of the page???
Notice that some of the plugs had Plat centre electrodes AND Plat grd electrodes. Irid plugs followed.....around 1995-6.

img411.jpg

And below is why Plat & Irid is superior. That fact that they last longer is a byproduct, not the reason to use in a performance engine.

img412.jpg

Turk,
I always have better luck the first time, not next time. There was never any spark plugs in the 70s that had 0.040"or 0.060" diam centre electrodes, the size used for Irid plugs.

Ok Bewy, tell me what is a C63 Champion?

Been that way since at least the early 1979’s because I was using them.

Later today I’ll post a full list of all the fine wire plugs Champion made and some are still made.

Wrong again.

And below is why Plat & Irid is superior. That fact that they last longer is a byproduct, not the reason to use in a performance engine.

View attachment 1716294289

You can do the same thing with a fine wire plug. Same thing Bewy.

The fine wire is what requires less voltage to fire, not the rare earth metal.

Like I said, I’ve tested most spark plugs out there at one time or another and the biggest trick to getting a spark plug is:

Proper thread pitch and reach.

Heat range.

After that it’s all nonsense about electrode size, multiple ground wires, rare earth metal electrodes.

I’m getting ready to dyno an engine. PayPal me 500 USD and I’ll test what ever plug you want.

And then you’ll know you are wrong.

Again.

Ok Bewy, tell me what is a C63 Champion?

Been that way since at least the early 1979’s because I was using them.

Later today I’ll post a full list of all the fine wire plugs Champion made and some are still made.

Wrong again.
We used the thin wire plugs in our 2 cycle bikes in 1975, if you had a 2 cycle that's what you used, less prone to low speed load up.
I was a 13 year old kid racing a Bultaco 125 Pursang mk8.

Holdener dynod a 5.3 LS with just about every single spark plug he could find. No single plug made a significant difference one way or the other. What to take away from it is, if your ignition system is up to snuff and the engine is healthy the plugs won’t make a damn bit of difference. Get the physical attributes right (thread size, depth, sealing (gasket or taper)) and get the heat range close, then fuckin send it!

We used the thin wire plugs in our 2 cycle bikes in 1975, if you had a 2 cycle that's what you used, less prone to low speed load up.
I was a 13 year old kid racing a Bultaco 125 Pursang mk8.

Yep. This **** ain’t new or trick.

Funny thing is when I was 14 I was riding a 1977 Bultaco 250 that my dad upgraded to a reed valve.

He hated riding it so I got it. That was the most wheeling dirt bike I ever ride. That thing would wheelie as long as you had the balls to go and as fast as you were stupid enough to do it.

I had a 5th gear yard sale style crash on that bike in 1980. After school we headed out to ride and three classmates went with me.

We ended up riding to a different area and it was a bunch of fire road stuff.

I was bored and dicking off. So I started doing first gear wheelies and up shifting to 4th gear. You were moving pretty fast.

We came up to a long section of road so I got it on the back tire and because my balls got bigger than my brain o decided to let it rip.

I was doing fine in 4th so I wiggled the throttle a skosh got it into 5th and twisted the throttle and over it went.

Had that been on film I’d be a wealthy man.

**** was scattered everywhere. Junked my helmet and my riding shirt. Tore the crap out of my leathers or whatever I was wearing back then.

Roached the seat and rear fender and taco’d the handle bars.

That was the best wheelie dirt bike I’ve ever ridden. But it would spank your butt for you if you got too ballsy for it.

-
Back