Summit cam for 273

-

rickdick78

Reaction score
Hey anybody out there run a summit cam in there 273? I bought the 420 lift cam and was just wondering if any one has any feedback on it? Thanks!

If you want, I could run the cam in desktop dyno for you versus the isky 420 lift cam I actually use if you put up the cam lobe specs- IVO, IVC, centerline, etc. I didn't know summit had a 420 lift, 442 was the smallest one I saw last I checked(hydraulic of course, not like the solid isky). FWIW the 442 lift hydro was close to the isky solid on the dyno program, and the numbers were likely realistic

Actually buddy, i was just wondering if the summit gear was somewhat durable. I know its budget gear, and i was just wondering if anyone had any probs with the cam itself.
Also im gonna change it over to hydraulic lifters, would the summit brand be a reliable matchup?

Crane used to grind for Summit, so, I'd bet it is a Crane cam. Yes, there durable. Also, the same for the lifters. IDK how makes them, but there fine. I have used several sets over the years without issue.

You'll need different length pushrods when changing from a Mech. cam to a Hyd. cam.

Yea i figured that, any info on which the right pushrods are?
Also will the hydraulic lifters just pop in, or is there some kind of machining necessary??

Thanks alot, this build will be a first for me!! just hoping to get it Right!! ha ha

Stock pushrods will work, order through summit.

To insure a great first time build, along with a buddy, one that has been there before, I would seriously suggest a book called;

"How to rebuild your small block MoPar"

and read through it beofre doing anything. This will take a lot of questions out of your head and give back more time in your hands instead of posting questions and waiting for answers.

HA ha great!! Already bought it and been reading it. Guess im doin' something right. K.... thanks man!

Yea, you are, your asking questions and reading the book. Great start. Keep it up.

Hey ive got a set of junkyard 302 heads that im puttin on. i know the 67 heads are very good but the exhaust seats on these are trash.
Is there a certain headgasket thickness that i should go with to get the best compression? Or should i have the heads milled?

-
Back