Summit Racing oil

-
Thanks, that helps a lot.

3589 was the part number. There were all four digit part numbers until the merger with Quaker State. Easy to remember. They then went to longer numbers, and it took a while to use them enough to memorize them.

The date code is VI11F.
V stands for the packaging line. I don't remember it, it may have been a contract batch. Or more likely I just forgot.
I, being the 9th letter of the alphabet, indicates the 9th month, September.
11 is the day of the month.
F is the 6th letter of the alphabet, corresponding to the year, in this case 1996.
So this bottle was filled exactly five years before the 9/11 attacks.

API SJ was introduced in 1996, so this was already one or two ratings obsolete. By reading the label, it's clear they didn't want it to be used in passenger cars. As I said, I was told that was because of the high ZDDP levels were known to cause pitting and spalling. They wanted to avoid liability from damage caused by a misapplication. I did sell a bunch of this stuff to Harley aftermarket shops. They loved it.

For a long time previous to this bottle, the GT 50 was rated SD. Thanks again!
Well, I used a couple quarts of this stuff to break in a new flat tappet solid lifter 440, as part of a hobo stew of oil I had in my garage.
I used a couple 50wt racing, five 10-30 diesel, and some Lucas additive. Probably too much zddp looking back..... but the purple shaft broke in beautifully.
@S'cuder , do you remember the zddp level in the GT50?

Last edited:
Well, I used a couple quarts of this stuff to break in a new flat tappet solid lifter 440, as part of a hobo stew of oil I had in my garage.
I used a couple 50wt racing, five 10-30 diesel, and some Lucas additive. Probably too much zddp looking back..... but the purple shaft broke in beautifully.
@S'cuder , do you remember the zddp level in the GT50?
I'd think it would do well as part of a Frankenbrew used as break in oil.
I seem to remember the ZDDP content was 1400-1500 ppm, but I wouldn't swear to it. I do know it's intended use is exactly what it says on the label.

Every couple of years one of the top fuel or funny cars we sponsored would pass through. They would call ahead to ask that we would be sure to have 40-50 cases of the grade 60 they used. I remember Dick Lahaie and Whit Bazemore being nice guys.

-
Back