Summit Racing Thermoquad

-
You might think me crazy but I bought the composite body Street Demon a year ago to put on my magnum crate 360/320 with a 2 plane M1. Yep, call me crazy. Replaced a Holley 750dp that was running ok after a rebuild but it's a 727 car and wanted to put vacuum secondary's back on it, so I took the chance. I took the chance after reading all I could about it and looking for all the intell that was out there. Heck, I didn't want to spend nearly $400 smacks on a carb that didn't give me what I wanted, especially a first year unproven model. What really sold me was that even for a flow of 625cfm, the carb had enough flow to dyno out a big block at 425hp which told me it would have plenty of flow potential for my unmassaged cast iron magnum heads with long tube headers.
I'm not a big fan of Edelbrock Carbs, mostly because the few I've been associated with in the past just didn't have the greatest response when you mashed the pedal and lord knows we love to mash the pedal. Nonetheless I was also concerned that the Demon was just another Eddy and I'd be stuck with a paperweight when I was done. Holy cow did I make a great choice. I absolutely love it. Easy tunability, idle control, smooth quick throttle response and "ohhh my God" pedal mashing kickdown launch.
I'm going to try an Eddy RPM air gap next just for fun. Happen to have one on the shelf here.

http://www.demoncarbs.com/Categories.asp?#Carburetors

That is what i said when i mashed the throttle "oh my god" i have a 284 .484 mp camshaft at idle i have 8 hg of vacuum after changing the step up springs. that is alot beter then i ever had with th holly

Woo-hoo! You guys rock!

and you might notice that the price gets alittle better if you order 5 or more from walker:) cant say that they are realy cheap but the price seems fair if they are of good quality

I have a TQ that will eventually go on a resto. It's good to know that they make new bodies for it!

I've seen a lot of positive response videos about the Street Demon. I can't install mine this weekend (snow), but I've got almost everything for it.

The ONE complaint I have with the new Street Demon that is relatively superficial is that they come with three fuel feed fittings.
-5/16 barb
-3/8 barb
-3/8 reverse flare... That's it.

So, if you want a 5/16 reverse flare for a 5/16 metal line off the carb with a 9/16" 24 male thread to fit into it, ONE place makes it; Holley. And they want $15+ for it!

It's hardly worth mentioning, but I think this is a common enough line to include the fitting.

I've seen their work. Nice stuff. They peen the bodies and remove oxidation, cad and zinc plate stuff. I have a caswell plater at work that I thought about trying on a full blown resto, myself.

Seems like the place to go if you have a highly detailed resto for your carb.

You wouldn't be on crack outfitting something that detailed sitting on top of the original engine on a car that was worth $100+K.

Scott does great work and the carbs come back like brand new, replated correctly all the correct parts and its $399. You pay half up front and the other half when its done. Or you can buy the Summit/Holley reman with its black painted hardware and take it apart to make sure its not screwed up. Scott will be doing my Thermoquad when I get to it.

Aw, yuck! One of my pet peaves is when I send something out to get rebuilt and the remanufacturer takes liberty with semi-gloss black laquer paint. Always with the semi-gloss black... hahaha...

I remember some jagaloon at an exhaust shop took the liberty to paint what he could get to with a can on brand new reproduction parts on a rotisserie resto we did after installing it all. We got the car back and put it on the lift to clean it all.

I had a power steering box come back to me with some awesome black paint on it that wouldn't dry for some reason in places where it pooled and a big, ugly disclaimer warranty sticker on it. I spent a couple of hours masking seals tight and tearing it down to put the right finish on it.

They cad and zinc plated the parts on these carbs the way they did for a reason and it wasn't for asthetics! It was so they could function properly without corroding. Paint does not make for a good friction surface.

I'd be game to get one if it's got a good plastic body, but for the money, I think I'd rather buy one of those new bodies for $80ish and send the parts out to my cad plater and go through it with a kit, myself.

The one thing I'd be interested in that wasn't factory would be cutting the body baseplate for roller bearings and nickel plating the shafts for a nice seal.

Scott does great work and the carbs come back like brand new, replated correctly all the correct parts and its $399. You pay half up front and the other half when its done. Or you can buy the Summit/Holley reman with its black painted hardware and take it apart to make sure its not screwed up. Scott will be doing my Thermoquad when I get to it.

I sent my frankenstein box of carb parts down too Scott at Harms and for $399.00 he sent me back this piece of ART, I think I would put it on my coffee table "LOL" but he runs them on his mule engine and it has a gas smell. This might be the best money for return I've spent so far. You can be the Judge.

Attachments

• Carb 1 .jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Carb 2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Carb 3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Carb 4.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Carb 6.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 232
  • Carb 7.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 233
Spending $800 on a rebuilt factory carb for a $100,000 is one thing. Spending $800 on my 3 grand beater/s OT rod is another. Your comparo is off base a d completely wacked Dave. I'd spend the money on it for a resto, not a hot rod.

Spending $800 on a rebuilt factory carb for a $100,000 is one thing. Spending $800 on my 3 grand beater/s OT rod is another. Your comparo is off base a d completely wacked Dave. I'd spend the money on it for a resto, not a hot rod.

Isn't it $399? Which ones are $800? BTW, that IS a work of art!! Are they set up and jetted right for each application though??

attachment.php

Isn't it $399? Which ones are $800? BTW, that IS a work of art!! Are they set up and jetted right for each application though??

attachment.php

Not sure, it might need some tweaking, I'm doing a factory style resto and not in need of tire roasting power so it just needs to run nice and look pretty.

Rob its not $800, Its $400 for a 4bbl. $800 is for a pair of carbs for a dual quad set up.

These also arent performance builds, these are restored stock carbs. You send him your core he restores it to OE standards and sends it back.

Whats a new Holley or Edelbrock run ?

Hahaha... I hear you on running one of those on a driver! Holy hell, I'd be tempted to restore the car to match the carb after putting it on top of a sorry looking grease pit, but there is a middle ground.

800 bones is a lot to throw at carbs, but I think A&A Transmission wants about the same for a new 2x4bbl Edelbrock AFB outfit for a 426 with linkages. I know that it would have been much nicer to work with a set of 2 originals when we were building a '70 Hemi Superbee at the shop.

I'm more excited about the new bodies that are being made than anything. I'd like to take on a project to restore one, myself with one of those. Had I any selection of jets and rods for my TQ that I have, I would have gone through it for about half of the money or less than what I paid for the Street Demon cost me, out the door with the tune up stuff.

I'm convinced that if you found a nice poly body TQ, you could have a killer carburetor for about $75 if you know what you are doing.

I'd still like to see one of these ThermoQuad carbs from Summit. The only way I'd trust one is if it was bench tested, strictly on the premise of it having a used body and painted parts, but I have my doubts on any carb out of the box that costs less than $375 being bench tested in any way. I pulled a 1406 Eddy out of the box a few months ago to go on a Studebaker and when I pulled the air horn from the body, I was greeted with an extra torx screw laying in the float bowl. I'm an advocate of going through everything before bolting it on.

Summit (Holley rebuilt) THERMOQUAD story:

Vehicle = Jensen Interceptor factory 440 with 22 k original miles at the time of the install.. Car sat for years in a garage.
I could not get the clogged up factory carb to dial in very (because finessing a TQ takes a decent amount of tenacity and experience) well so...

Ok, I bought a factory replacement THERMOQUAD from Summit specifically for a 74 440 chrysler imperial.

After I got it, I found out it was re-manufactured by holley.

It looked like a schizophrenic dog chucked it out of a bob truck, hit a road sign with it and it skipped down the freeway, then they boxed it up and shipped to me.

I put it on and it ran like total **** in all aspects.

I returned it after some serious arm twisting over the phone and got a THUNDER AVS 800. Put it on the motor and the motor ran smooooth and i have not done jack to the carb other than adjusting the idle mixture in 5 years. The engine literally burns clean and just outstanding. Throttle response and secondary action is flawless. Electric choke, fast idle, cold starting, all great.

I would love to have a professional restore the factory TQ as it is the big bore unit. I just dont think I am up to the task.

My experience with those Holly TQ rebuilds is that Holley must hate TQs or is having them rebuilt by maniacs with hammers for hands.

My experience with those Holly TQ rebuilds is that Holley must hate TQs or is having them rebuilt by maniacs with hammers for hands.

HAHAHAHAHA...

Thanks for that!

You wouldn't happen to know if a 6 pack fits under the hood of an Interceptor?

good to hear 67dart.

I switched from a large bore thermo to a 670 street avenger...love the elec. choke. Seat of the pants feel says the power is down a little, but it works well

I do really miss that secondary moan though. I know its probably stupid criteria to pick a carb but I wonder if the new demons have that draw. The ad for the new 750 demon says

"The secondary throttles, which are controlled by the Goggle valve, remain unaltered. An innovative device located at the bottom of the secondary bores, the Goggle valve delivers over twice the air flow of the primary bores. It maintains an invigorating effect that can be both felt and heard."

wonder what that is in laymans terms?

In laymens terms, the secondaries kick *** when you hammer them open a d the carb will howl loudly like your TQ used to do. BWAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOARRRR!!!!

A few guys here a while ago gave poor testament to the Holley rebuild TQ's as if they did a **** job on purpose as to redirect the person to purchase a Holley instead. Often a mix of new and rods were reported along with bent linkages.

I have a TQ that will eventually go on a resto. It's good to know that they make new bodies for it!

I've seen a lot of positive response videos about the Street Demon. I can't install mine this weekend (snow), but I've got almost everything for it.

The ONE complaint I have with the new Street Demon that is relatively superficial is that they come with three fuel feed fittings.
-5/16 barb
-3/8 barb
-3/8 reverse flare... That's it.

So, if you want a 5/16 reverse flare for a 5/16 metal line off the carb with a 9/16" 24 male thread to fit into it, ONE place makes it; Holley. And they want $15+ for it!

It's hardly worth mentioning, but I think this is a common enough line to include the fitting.

Dave after reading about the Street Demon I am thinking of buying one for my 71 Demon 340 with original manifold and TQ. I have never worked on a carburetor or aftermarket install and have a couple of questions. How do you cover the thermal choke well in the manifold or can you leave it as is? Is it best to fab up a new metal fuel line to fit the new carb or should you use rubber hose. Does the electric choke have to be hooked up or can I run without it? Thanks.

In laymens terms, the secondaries kick *** when you hammer them open a d the carb will howl loudly like your TQ used to do. BWAAAAAAAAAROOOOOOARRRR!!!!

eh, thats what i figured....just looking for some first hand testimonials....thanks Rob, I might look into buying the 750 this summer

-
Back