Sun Gears in a 727?

-

MoparMark67

Reaction score
I'm looking to rebuild my 727 and I was told to look into upgrading the sun gears. I have been looking for rebuild kits and I can't find any that carry upgraded metals (Hard parts) for the 727. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Mark

There is no reason to upgrade the 727 sun gear. There is no aftermarket sun gear, unless you go with stright cut gear set.

The sun gear is darn near indestructible. Are you thinking the planetaries that run on it tho? Those come in 3,4, and 5 pinion that get stronger the more gears they have.

Yea the planetary gears. Sorry. Novice here. Should I upgrade those? Do you know off hand how many are in the 727? I was only planning to ever go 500 hp max. If that even. Looking more at 400hp.

Thanks,
Mark

727s come with a 4 or 3 pinion aluminum planets , at 500 hp use the 4 pinion, when useing NOS, turbo, trans brake, or very hight HP, then upgraded planets are a must, You will be fine with stock planets.

FYI:

3PFAW.JPG

727 3 pin front aluminum planet

4PFAW.JPG

727 4 pin front aluminum planet

CRT5PB.JPG

upgrade 727 5 pin steel front planet

Planets%20002.jpg

4 pin billet steel front planet with bearings

You should contact John at CRT, his kits are more complete and have better parts, the summit kits are lacking!

-
Back