Sunroof Dart (1973) Question???

-
In terms of 340 cars only, Mopar Muscle published that only 40 1973 340 Sunroof Dusters were produced. There were over 15k 340 Dusters produced that year. There were fewer Dart Sport 340's than Dusters, so I can only speculate that there would be less 1973 Dart Sport 340 Sunroof cars.

I have a 1973 Duster 340 Sunroof. I've had it since 2005. Since then, I have not been able to uncover much info on the subject. Another member (my340) has a thread on this topic as well. I think only a total of 26 or so Dart 340 and Duster 340 combined have responded. So my assumption based on the limited info out there is that 1973 A-bodies with the 340 and sunroof is very rare.

Yeah, I realize that I'm quoting an old post here.
I just wanted to add .02 to the above. While I agree with the logic here, I have some slight doubt since the "Convertriple" Dart was a big marketing push for these cars in '73 and I don't think the Dusters had the same media backing for those features. It seems possible that more sunroof/folding seat Dart Sports were produced than similarly equipped Dusters. How those broke down to engine options isn't necessarily a direct correlation but still...

... but as for it being in a dart sport, they have to be one of the least desiraqble bodies....

I think this is the common wisdom but in the decades since I bought my Dart, I have had countless strangers approach me about my "ugly" Dart Sport just gushing over it. Nobody has ever, ever, ever said "too bad it's not a Demon!"

Last Spring, a guy in a Silverado (with his family in the truck) chased me into a parking lot and asked if I wanted to sell it...and was visibly disappointed when I told him "thanks but not for a million bucks." My girlfriend (who was with me at the time and unsure of why I was so attached to my old car) thought that was just the coolest thing.

Outside of the Mopar and car collector community, I don't think people really care that much or notice the differences between the model years.

I will say this: Dart Sports in particular don't photograph as well as other versions of the A-body coupes...but in person, the lines hold up well. Doing a Google Image search always makes me a bit queasy...but out on the open road, or parked at a cruise night, it looks about as good as any other version, IMO.

Cruise Night 8-2017.jpg

Awesome - keep us posted.
Car has been purchased successfully. She is 100% Numbers matching 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340 4-Speed. With Metal optioned sunroof and gold down rear seat. Car was purchased in TN. In 2013 by previous owner from original owners grandson who had just come back from serving Iraq and needed extra money. Car will go through a full on nut and bolt restoration over the next 3 years and come out looking better than the day she rolled off the assembly line. Going to give her a paint job like no other dart has ever seen as well. She is solid everywhere important just needs lots of love on the body in the usual places. Lower rear quarters and front floor pans due to leaking vents. Other than that she still has Factory gray paint on the frame and is solid as a rock!

IMG_5720.JPG

Outside of the Mopar and car collector community, I don't think people really care that much or notice the differences between the model years.

Outside of the mopar and car world most don't know **** except that it's an old car. Hell half of those people probably think that dart sport is a 350 powered nova. :)

VTRenegade - Congrats on the purchase - that will be one nice Mopar when you get it shined up. When you get the time, please post a few more pictures of your new ride. Thanks.
Scott.

Outside of the mopar and car world most don't know **** except that it's an old car. Hell half of those people probably think that dart sport is a 350 powered nova. :)
That's so funny you said that. Yesterday some old timer walked up and called it everything except what it is and that included calling it Nova. lol

VTRenegade - Congrats on the purchase - that will be one nice Mopar when you get it shined up. When you get the time, please post a few more pictures of your new ride. Thanks.
Scott.
Thanks. Super happy. This is an identical car to the first muscle car I ever owned in my early 20's. Bought it for 900.00 sold it for 500.00 when I needed cash. That was a mistake. Can't wait to bring this girl back to her original glory. Unfirntaly it will probably take me 3 years to get her all done right. Since I'm not rich it will be done in stages but will not be on the street before she is 100% done.

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5723.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5727.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

-
Back