Super 6

-
Don't be intimidated, just jump in and go with the flow. There should be a clamp/bolt 7/16" I think that holds the distributor in. Un-do it and it should lift out. I think, LOL, I haven't worked on a /six in 35 years. When you pull the dizzy do so gently as it has a nylon gear on it, you don't want to tear it up.

OK..thanks. Will I need any other components?

No problem, it's intimidating talking with you guys at times. For as much knowledge as you all have on these cars, I'm very much a beginner.

As I was working on it yesterday, I recall seeing 10ft lbs stamped on the top of the intake. I was doing pretty well until I encountered a lower nut opposite the carb. I just didn't have the wrench to get at it. I wish I di, the yards handy man is out with a busted shoulder and don't know when he'll be back. Would like to have it here so I can check it off the list.

I'll definitely pull the distributor as well. Any special trick to doing that?

Don't worry about it man, we all started somewhere. I'm a total beginner when it comes to v8's myself. I'm no slant expert but I've done the super six swap a couple of times so I'm pretty familiar with it.

You can get to any of the nuts with a long enough extension and deep socket. There's no need for any swivel adapters or anything. You can basically just stick the extension and socket in there and feel around until you feel it grip the nut. Putting the nuts and washers back on is the hard part. I use an extension magnet to place the washer over the stud and then I use a long screwdriver to press the washer off the magnet and onto the stud.

Just make sure you use the correct torque pattern when bolting the manifolds down. Here is an excellent article if you haven't ran across it yet.

Btw - Don't forget the super six air cleaner as well.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

No problem, it's intimidating talking with you guys at times. For as much knowledge as you all have on these cars, I'm very much a beginner.

phftttttt... I'm quite SURE there's stuff you know front and back compared to us. We all know different stuff.

Don't worry about it man, we all started somewhere. I'm a total beginner when it comes to v8's myself. I'm no slant expert but I've done the super six swap a couple of times so I'm pretty familiar with it.

You can get to any of the nuts with a long enough extension and deep socket. There's no need for any swivel adapters or anything. You can basically just stick the extension and socket in there and feel around until you feel it grip the nut. Putting the nuts and washers back on is the hard part. I use an extension magnet to place the washer over the stud and then I use a long screwdriver to press the washer off the magnet and onto the stud.

Just make sure you use the correct torque pattern when bolting the manifolds down. Here is an excellent article if you haven't ran across it yet.

Btw - Don't forget the super six air cleaner as well.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

Terrific.......thanks.

REmember the special 2bbl kickdown, thats worth as much as the intake.

Pishta is correct.......... make sure you get all the original
bracket's, and especially the carb to tran's kickdown rod with
all attaching hardware, as this stuff can be hard to locate, and
is like gold, for someone that need's it. Good luck.

I was reading the article ESP recommended on the Super Six and came across this line.....

It always helps to have the parts and the motor as clean and in as good a condition as possible. Working in filth is never fun. I like taking the car to a coin-op car wash and using the high pressure soap and rinse settings to de-gunk my engine and engine compartment.

Has anyone ever de-gunked their engine this way?

Yes........ we have done it many time's. Also have heard
to use the wax setting also, and that is supposed to help to.
I was at the high pressure car wash along time ago.......... and
the owner (manager) was there doing some work in the coin or matenience
room, and he walked by the stall I was in, and said " My other
customer's that come here, would not appreciate stepping in
large amount's of grease and dirt, because it can (will) get on
someone's carpet or interior". I apologized to him, and he said to only
use the outside only stall. If I remember correctly........ I think I
went to the outside stall that day, and it did'nt work, and ate 3.00
worth of coin's, which I did'nt get back. Also the cycle's were only .75 cent's too. I guess I was in a good mood that day!!

Stupid question, but why all the fuss over getting the Super 6 set up from the newer cars?

Super Six = 2bbl intake manifold and carburetor + associated air cleaner, shorter throttle cable, different kickdown linkage on automatic cars. 1977 was the first year for it.

I always make sure to cover my carb and distributor up with plastic bags if I'm cleaning the engine.

I managed to pull the Super Six components yesterday...intake/exhaust manifolds, air filter housing, gas line and linkage. However, the car was positioned on a hill with all tire flat and I was lucky to get the linkage out. I was not able to get the hardware that was connected to the tranny. Will I need that or is it the same on all 904's?

I managed to pull the Super Six components yesterday...intake/exhaust manifolds, air filter housing, gas line and linkage. However, the car was positioned on a hill with all tire flat and I was lucky to get the linkage out. I was not able to get the hardware that was connected to the tranny. Will I need that or is it the same on all 904's?

If you mean the lever that is on the transmission that the linkage connected to, yes you need it. It is different from non super six levers. Go back and get it. Don't let it get away.

Any idea where I would find an illustration? As I said, I was feeling my way around underneath the car. Maybe if I see how it looks and attaches, I can work it off.

OK..thanks.
While I'm there, is there anything else of value i should pull? I've already pulled the electronic ignition.

OK..thanks.
While I'm there, is there anything else of value i should pull? I've already pulled the electronic ignition.

That was smart! Cause the super six distributor has a better advance curve built in. Far as I know, once you get that lever, that should be it.

The choke thermostat is bolted to the top of the exhaust manifold and has a linkage arm that goes to the carb. I'm assuming you already grabbed that right? Other than that I can't think of anything.

Yea, I got all of that.
LOl, I wasn't sure what piece of electronics on the firewall went with the EI, so I grabbed them all.
You guys want me to keep an eye out for anything?

OK, I've got to go back to the yard and retrieve the part of the kickdown linkage that connects to the transmission.
The first picture I pulled off a posting on /6.org and shows the transmission connection for the Super Six.
The second illustration shows the linkage just like the one I pulled last week sans the very bottom piece. Due to the way the car was sitting in the dirt, I removed the linkage by feel and not sight.
My question.....the tranny ends of these linkages look very different from one another. Does anyone have any experience with either setup?

Attachments

• DSC02310.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 141
  • twobarrel-linkage.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 141
Looks like the same thing to me. We're looking at the lighter colored linkage bracket in the colored picture. It's the same one as the bracket in the illustration below. It looks to me like you already pulled the kickdown off of it. As long as you have the kickdown rod with the spring, little box and bolt that goes through it, then you're good. You don't need the actual bracket that goes from the bottom of the kickdown to the tranny that you took a picture of. That's the same for any 904 tranny. As long as you have the hardware at the bottom of the kickdown, it'll connect to your tranny just fine.

OK, I was under the impression that the very bottom piece, flap for lack of better word was also necessary. I have the spring, box and bolt and was going to make the drive back to the yard to get the flap, but it looks like I don't have to?

Thanks ESP

-
Back