Super CHARGE!

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Sometimes while my car is running (it doesn`t matter what rpm) the ammeter will just peg and all the lights ,etc., will get really bright. It may go on for 10- 15 secs., then return to normal only to do it again whenever.I have the Mopar regulator 3690732 with Mopar elec ign.w/chrome box and 1/4 ohm resistor as well as a 45amp alternator. What would cause the sudden surge of electricity through the system like this?

1) Test the alternator with a scope test to verify the wave pattern to see if there is any spikes in the system.
2) get a strong 85-90 amp alternator.
3)get the electronic regulator or do the mod to using the newer regulator.
4) test the ampmeter to check for a faulty unit
5)check the cluster regulator for its performance or do the mod found on the mad electric web site.
6)Check the bulkhead connector for loose or burnt connectors.
After doing these things and finding the problem,send me 2 cases of beer,(COLD) and thank me by email,Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
1) Test the alternator with a scope test to verify the wave pattern to see if there is any spikes in the system.
2) get a strong 85-90 amp alternator.
3)get the electronic regulator or do the mod to using the newer regulator.
4) test the ampmeter to check for a faulty unit
5)check the cluster regulator for its performance or do the mod found on the mad electric web site.
6)Check the bulkhead connector for loose or burnt connectors.
After doing these things and finding the problem,send me 2 cases of beer,(COLD) and thank me by email,Mrmopartech
I recently started driving a 1966 Dart 4-door. I am new to the "old car" thing. I am "refreshing" the car as I go using all parts that were available on a '66. I have all of the same symtoms (new parts included) that Longgone described. I do not understand the system (as simple as it is). Is there a link you can give me to do those checks?

thats the "blue" regulator right? I had that happen twice on 2 dif cars with that reg.,Changed it to a stock solid state and never had a problem again.
just my 2 cents,but you really don't need that reg on the street.Its overkill.

Yeah it is the blue one. That`s interesting, I haven`t had it occur in a long time and never could pinpoint it. Right now all`s well. Thanks for the tip!

-
Back