Super Six Fail

-
Are you going through the correct procedures to see if you have a vacuum leak? Buying a carb kit isn't going to do much of anything if you have vacuum leaks. And just because the throttle shaft is tight, doesn't mean its not leaking air. Troubleshoot the problem one step at a time, and start by doing the checks that don't cost you anything.

With the motor running, spray some carb cleaner on the intake runners, base of the carb and the throttle shaft ends and see if the motor increases rpms when you do this. It's pretty much free to check and should be done before spending any money on the car.

PS, the exhaust can net you 1-2mpg in the end, but don't even mess with that until you get this thing at 20mpg and running smoothly.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the offer. My problem is time. Everytime I start a project on the car, namely disc brake conversion. I need to borrow a car to get to work. I've worn out my welcome borrowing friends vehicles. I don't think they ever want to hear the phrase "I'm thinking about doing this to the dart."

I will probably rebuild it this weekend. The throttle shaft is tight, so that's good. If Things don't get better after the rebuild I'll buy a cheap one and take you up on your offer.

Thanks again.

Well if you get hung up on sumthin, PM me.

Again, I cannot express the danger involved spraying carb cleaner, or anything flammable around a running engine to find a vacuum leak. Please don't do it. Water in a spray bottle is just as effective and poses no fire hazzard. You can really get hurt spraying combustibles around a running engine. I would feel terrible if that happened here.

-
Back