Super six info needed.....

-

daveoneshot

Reaction score
...Having a rough time dialing in the six, can anybody tell me the basic
settings on the 2 barrel carb ??....About how many turns out for the
screws ??, thanks in advance, Dave.

Set the timing first......not sure on the /6 but on v-8 I find a vac port on the manifold and hook my vac gauge to it, you want highest possible vac at an idle.... if nothing on manifold you could use a port on the carb it will get you in the ball park....I am sure someone else could help you I an't no super tech

i was told in school that generally after rebuilding a carb to back out the screws 3 and a half turns to get in the ballpark, then fine tune as needed.

Make certain that there are NO vacuum leaks. If all is well, the timing must be set before anything else is messed with. Follow the appropriate procedures (motor warm, vac. advance disconnected & plugged, proper RPM, vehicle in neutral if I'm not mistaken). Use a tachometer to monitor RPM, even if you have to hook it up temporarily. Once the timing is nailed, I usually begin leaning out the carb until the idle drops. I then back out the screw (or screws if it's a 2 barrel) until the highest idle is achieved. If you go too far, the idle will start to come down again. You'll find the "happy zone" soon enough. I also like to lean the screw(s) 1/8 to 1/4 turn afterward to compensate for the re-installation of the air cleaner/filter.
Of course, it doesn't hurt to start with good plugs (I SWEAR by the better Bosch plugs....platinum with 2 electrodes, preferably), really good wires (Accel) with a higher-end cap / rotor (Borg-Warner, available at Pep Boys and/or Advance).

-
Back