super six parts?

-

73Scamp

Reaction score
we got in a super six last week at work. i'm wondering what parts i need from the super six to make mine a super six is it just the head, intake, carb with linkages or do i need more

The heads are all the same the cam is a little more on the 2bbl motor so you need the manifold,carb linkages,and a mild cam to make it work good.With this garbage they call gas today I don't think I'd raise the comp to much .What really helped my slants both 170 and 225 was to increase the diameter of the exhaust from that punie 1 5/8 id to 2 in id and use a free flowing muffler. This one mod made more of a difference than anything else espically at highway speeds. The 170 really benifited from it the most.

The cam for the super six is the same as for the 1bbl engine, within the same year.
The difference in the supersix from the standard engine is: intake manifold, carb, choke element, air cleaner, throttle cable, kickdown linkage (including the lever on the trans) for auto's, and a larger exhaust pipe. Contrary to what some say, the exhaust manifold is the same, as the 1 bbl, within the same year. The difference in the exhaust manifold, is when converting an older engine. The choke pocket is different. You can cut the side out of the early style manifold choke pocket, and it will work fine. Read this article.
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

I read somewhere that tha cam used on the 1978 slant was the one to use if converting an older slant to a super six. Do you know if this is true? I'm thinking of building up my 170 a bit and running a 2 bbl on it with a real 4 speed behind it, not one of those overdrive things they used in the aspens & volares but one from a 65 cuda. I'm wondering if this cam & carb arangement will help it any . I really want the 170 for the gas milage but a bit more power would be a good thing too.

-
Back