ap6street

Reaction score
I own a australian 65 abody valiant.
maybe 500hp just under .
4.10 rear end 26/9.5 tyres
double adjustable qa1s all round
original 6cyl rear leafs , but with new poly bushings
mickey thompson street et radials

car gets absolutely no traction at all taking off. i had a rough check of my angles, seems the pinion to the talishaft yoke are at a neutral angle , so may need some shims.

also running a 2" lowering block.

i was thinking to purchase some superstock springs.
i have the superstock spring hangers with 5/8" bolt and dual holes.

dont really want the car sitting up too ridiculously, high
car weighs approx 3300 with me in car .

street and strip car but i dont care if the car feels everything on the road.

does anyone have any pics of heights with the superstocks ???
will they sit ok on the higher mounting hole and with the blocks???
and which ones to purchase????

thanks heaps

Super Stock springs sit tall, and require long shocks to work properly. They are Drag race springs. Both sides are designed to lift the body on acceleration, applying down force on the rear tires. A bit squirrely on the street. I'd get a set of Heavy Duty 6 leaf springs for your setup. Add Cal Tracs as recommended above if needed. With 4.10 gears my 273 would spin tires through 1st and 2nd gear. Good luck.

whats the differemce in the weight ratings for the ss?

how tall? lol
some threads say 1" higher than stock some people say 5"
has the weight got anything to do with it

They are a little heavier, than stock springs but not much. There are threads showing height differences on different cars. They hook up as good as anything else out there, other suspensions only get lighter. They are more than 1 in higher and not quite equal, side to side. I'm pulling Superstock springs off our 67 Barracuda for Heavy duty 6 leaf springs and Bilstein shocks. It is a street/handling car. The problem with early "A" cars is the size of tire you can fit in the rear wheel wells. I'm not up on really sticky rear tires. I'm more into high speed rated handling tires.

Here's an example. --- With 15" x 8" wheels and 255/60-15 tires.

Attachments

• DSCN1227.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 377
  • No ID.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 354
-- lowering blocks?
and which springs are they ? --
-- No lowering blocks. -- Springs are 2 different part numbers, side to side. I don't remember the numbers, and the car is "Tucked In" for the winter.

Cool i might order the 2800lbs setup . Do they work well ?? Yours sits pretty level which side is meant to be sitting higher

The 2" lowering blocks will be an issue, as they multiply the effects of leverage on the axle housing increasing it's rotation and deforming the springs. If you have either a pinion snubber or slapper bars to limit the rotation it would be less of an issue.

I have two passenger side 2800 lbs Super Stock springs on my cars rear with poly bushings with a 1" lowering block. The car sits level with them. I would order a pair of driver's side springs if you like your car really low. I have 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials on my car. They are "Y" speed rated, and hook very well when warm. If you are more into dedicated drag racing style launching than cornering etc, I would order a pair of left and right side springs. The passenger side sits a bit higher to compensate when the torque of the driveline lifts the driver's side front and plants the passenger side rear.

That 1 inch block cause spring wrap in my case. I added and custom fit a set of common slapper bars, and the car hooks very hard now. You will hear a lot of negative things about this type of traction device on the forums by people who never tried them or who tried them and did not know how to set them up. Set up properly, they are extremely effective. None the less, I painted mine satin black and they are barely visible.

Your main traction issue is those tires. Regular street tires will never hook up like a drag radial. Swap on a set of Nitto drag radials and that will be that. They last a long time, hook hard when warmed up a bit, handle well and are relatively inexpensive. I tried Caltracs on my other car. They are great on smooth tracks or streets, but they are noisy and very harsh. Mine were so bad it hurt my lower back for a month or two.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Santa Cruz'ing.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 353
Here's an example. --- With 15" x 8" wheels and 255/60-15 tires.

,trying find info on a rear tire size too purchase when I seen your post,Iam building a 65 dart,i already have centerlitnes for it,the rears are 15" x 10 ,would I have to change my spring placement to fit tires ,would like to put 275-295" tires,,any idieas thanks

-
Back