Supporting auto transmission

-

crewchief

A & P Mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, does the transmission need to be held up with a jack if the motor is out? Need to move the car around with motor out.

It's a good idea to support the front of the trans with the motor out. I've seen ropes wrapped around the input shaft or bars run between the frame rails in addition to a jack. I'd tack a bar or pipe between the frame rails to support it for moving the car.

Maybe a dumb question, does the transmission need to be held up with a jack if the motor is out? Need to move the car around with motor out.
if you're gonna move the car with the engine out, I'd just go ahead and drop the trans out, its only a couple more bolts and 10-15 minutes of work

Put a bellhousing bolt(the bolts that mount the tranny to the back of the engine) on each side of the trans get a piece of pipe or a broom handle and place in under the 2 bolts between the frame rails,have done this numerous time rebuilding repair engines..

Put a bellhousing bolt(the bolts that mount the tranny to the back of the engine) on each side of the trans get a piece of pipe or a broom handle and place in under the 2 bolts between the frame rails,have done this numerous time rebuilding repair engines..
Thanks I'll try that, engine is out and trans is held up with a floor jack currently.

Thanks I'll try that, engine is out and trans is held up with a floor jack currently.

I use a tie down strap between the torsion bars and under the trans between the pan and bell housing.
Quick, easy and effective.

Then if the converter is going to stay I put a box end wrench with a bolt through it on one of the bell housing bolt holes to keep it in there.

Opposite situation, holding up my engine with the transmission out. Rod

IMG_4384.JPG

Coat hanger works best rather than mess around with some elaborate system. There's always something on the firewall to hook to without going to too much trouble. As soon as you start bracing it up from the bottom, sure enough those exact same things will be in your way later on for some unforseen reason. If you're leary about it, just jam a piece of wood between the top of the tail housing and floor. Done.

-
Back