sure-grip clutches from mancini....thick or thin??

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
they have either thick clutches or thin clutches...which do i get and why??

i'm thinking i need to get the "484" set, since they are mopar replacement.....

Are you sure you have a clutch type suregrip in your car ?

i'm absolutely positive i have a clutch type sure grip sitting on my workbench

Gotch. Wasnt sure if it was still in the car.

Ive never had a clutch type so Im not sure wich you need. i just didnt want you to buy clutches and find out you had a cone type rear.

yeah, i've got a clutch-type, a cone type, and an open....right now the open is in the car, i'm puting the conetype together (i machined the cones) to sell, and have a clutch type that's going in a 489 case with 3.91 gears which will then go in the car

just gotta find the difference in the clutches that mancini sells......guess i COULD call them............

I thought I saw posted elsewhere on the site that the differences in the shims determines the grip. The thicker shims are a tighter fit so they grip better & won't brake loose as soon as the thinner ones when cornering. They're more for strip use. And the thinner ones are basicly stock replacements, for street use.

Cuda66 said:
I thought I saw posted elsewhere on the site that the differences in the shims determines the grip. The thicker shims are a tighter fit so they grip better & won't brake loose as soon as the thinner ones when cornering. They're more for strip use. And the thinner ones are basicly stock replacements, for street use.

That would be a real pearl of info if thats the case. Thanks for the info Brad.

As for re-building your sure grip. how about grabbing a camera and snapping a few pix?

Information is always a good thing :D

We have experimented with putting new clutches in a rearend with one old disk. Man did that thing spin both tires! That is what I would say,,,,,the thicker, the tighter! That sounds like a good rule of thumb. It also sounds bad if you think like I do! LOL

-
Back