Sure-grip problem...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Ok so my cone-type sure-grip seems to be giving me some issues... When the car is jacked up and I spin the driveshaft both wheels spin (as they should) but when I manually turn 1 wheel, the other wheel spins in the opposite direction! (This happens when the car is in neutral or park and the driveshaft doesnt spin) Also when I turn the wheel back and forth the other wheel seems to slip some when changing directions... Any suggestions please? Is the rear toast or just some type of adjustment I'm missing? (Also makes a light humming sound when driving)

you sure it is a sure-grip??????????????

...........is it 64 and older clutch type...if so they have no preload till there's torque applied....nothing wrong, thats how they were designed, u could put in the newer clutch kit with the beveled clutches if it bothers u....yes the wheels will turn in opposite directions............kim.........

...........is it 64 and older clutch type...if so they have no preload till there's torque applied....nothing wrong, thats how they were designed, u could put in the newer clutch kit with the beveled clutches if it bothers u....yes the wheels will turn in opposite directions............kim.........

I was told it was pulled from a 68 Roadrunner, and no other specs aside from the 2.97 ring. It rained today and as I was leaving work I leaned into the gas pedal a little more than usual and it took me sideways with ease. I don't know when I'll get a chance to pull it apart and look at it seeing as i'm working overtime and full-time school... it gets me where I want to go for now so maybe I'll stick it out until I find a reasonably priced 489 or 721 with the gears that I want ( 3.55 - 4.10 ).

With as old is it is it's hard telling what sure grip unit is in there. If it is truly a 68 it will be a clutch type and if so the clutches are just worn out and are easily replaceable. If someone has swapped out the clutch type for a cone type sure grip they're not generally rebuildable but I have taken a few apart and machined down the cones to make them usable again. One was worn so bad I had to junk it. You never know until you yank it apart.

If you do have a cone type here is an article on the repair process. It's for a Pontiac rearend but it uses cones like a Mopar cone type so the process is the same except I take off .030" per cone where the article says to only take off .004~.005" per cone.

http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org/techstories/auburndiff_files/auburnfix.html

p.s. When I bought my Cuda it had a cone type and it was worn out and doing exactly what you described. I machined down the cones and sold it to a buddy and he's been using it for about 3 yrs. now and it still works fine.

-
Back