sure grip questions, pics inside

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
i came across a sure grip unit that looks like it had bad issues. it seems the gears came off while it was rotating? there is also what looks like a hole welded up through the body? it kind of looks like it was rebuilt since the issues?

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

I dont see how that could work with those welded together. It looks like they welded it to be a spool??

Jake

Looks like someone barely saved it and temporarily at that.
The marks around it are from the pinion either getting loose or losing the bearings and it let the end of the pinion gear hit the carrier.
The welded spots are where the cross pin for the spider gears is.
It probably got all sloppy in the carrier so they welded it in.
This is the stuff I see in the pics, and who knows what was done to it on the inside but I can tell you no one will ever be taking that one apart or fixing it.

A pic of the open side might help.

I dont see how that could work with those welded together. It looks like they welded it to be a spool??

Jake

If it's the spring and disc type it may be ok right now, but we can't see any of the interior in the pics to tell if it was welded to be a spool. (only that the cross pin has been welded in solid.)

If it's the spring and disc type it may be ok right now, but we can't see any of the interior in the pics to tell if it was welded to be a spool. (only that the cross pin has been welded in solid.)
With it being welded like like, will he be able to get it apart?

Jake

With it being welded like like, will he be able to get it apart?

Jake

No, that's why I said no one will ever be taking that one apart or fixing it.
I mean you might get it apart, but man what a mess it would be to try to re use.

No, that's why I said no one will ever be taking that one apart or fixing it.
I mean you might get it apart, but man what a mess it would be to try to re use.

Cool.

I have the twin to that unit under my work bench. More than likely. The two small spiders seized to the croos shaft. The shaft then spins inthe case sheering off the small keeper pin that is .250 in diameter and 1 inch long. Since now the shaft is turning in the case, it eats the case up. At which time the rear makes a bunch of grinding and popping noise. So some one took it apart and figured they would weld it up to fix it. It is junk.

-
Back