Sure Grip units, and axle diameters?? Help??

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
OK, so I thought I had a sure grip for my 8 3/4 742 center, I pulled the 489 4:10 cuz I sold it and just for the heck of it tried to insert the axle from my b-body rearend in to the sure grip that I will be installing and it appeared the diameter of the axle was, lets say 1/8" larger than the sure grip opening. :wack:What sure grip might I have? Batteries were dead on my camera and forgot my phone when I went to my shop so no pic's.

Count the number of splines on your axle, and compare the count to the number of splines on the carrier. Are the axles stock? I've heard some say that Mark Williams axles use a slightly different cut on the splines than other manufacturers.

Is it a clutch-type Powr Lok sure grip? It could be from a Dana 60, with a different spline count.

Count the number of splines on your axle, and compare the count to the number of splines on the carrier. Are the axles stock? I've heard some say that Mark Williams axles use a slightly different cut on the splines than other manufacturers.

Is it a clutch-type Powr Lok sure grip? It could be from a Dana 60, with a different spline count.
They are the stock b body axles. The sure lok has 2 springs close to the opening if that helps.

I found a picture, it looks like this one.

Attachments

• Sure grip.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 187
thats the cone type.... not a clutch... clutch style looks like this...

Attachments

• 0906001753.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 171
Here's actual pictures and numbers on it not sure if the firts one is 1 8-05-039-903 Also is I can't keep track of counting splines is there a 26 or 27 spline????:study:

Attachments

• Rearend 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 168
  • Rearend 002.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Rearend 003.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 150
Try using toothpicks to count the spline count. You just need two. 1 one to mark where you start and the other to use to count the rest. I use this method when I'm super wore out but need to get the job done.

Looks like someone sold me something they knew nothing about. I buy stuff and put it on the shelf til I need it without verifying that I got what I wanted. It was suppose to be an 8 3/4 unit. I need to start checking it when I buy it. I bought this last year. Anyone need one. It is now for sale for whatever a fair price is.

-
Back