Surgery Today

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
In a few hours I'm off to a day-op clinic to have Carpul Tunnel surgery on my left hand. I had the right hand done 9 yrs. ago and I'm NOT looking forward to later today. The last time it felt like my hand was being chewed off at the wrist after the surgery and I had a hard time suppressing the pain, both perscribed and self-medicating, for the first 24 hours. More of the same later.....

This is going to be a pain in the butt, but it should be done. The numbness at night has gotten so bad that even WITH a brace it still wakes me up. I had let the right hand get so bad that I couldn't hold anything due to the loss of sensation. This time I'm being a little pro-active and getting it done before it becomes a big problem. This means no work...wrenching....or guitar playing for a few weeks. I'll probably go back to work next week in a supervisory position making an apprentices life hell for a week or two, but no actual hands-on stuff for a while....

Since EVERYONE loves pictures I'll give you guys gory post-op images tomorrow..... :-D

Best of luck Fastback 340, hope all goes well for you, and less painful than the previous go round, lots of meds, throw the instructions away. Atleast you are not in overnight and have to endure the pain of hospital food:puke:

I had both my hands done in one trip about 8 years ago. A neuro doc will cut the wrists where a ortho doc will cut the palms. I had palms cut.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Guys.... I had originally planned the surgery for back in November, but I decided to wait until after the new year. Between sick time and various other factors I figured it would be better to do it now. Besides, I'd rather be stuck in the house now that it's going to be single digit temperatures outside.

Believe me, I'm NOT looking forward to this....
sterb035.gif

Good luck John! I know several people that has had that surgery and it doesn't sound like fun.
We look forward to your post-op pics.

Get back with us and let us know how it went John, and I hope this time it will be a less painful recovery.
Wow it seems like allot of our members are having surgery. Grumpster "John" will be coming home today from knee surgery.
Hope all go's well bud.:thumbrig:
keep your chin up and your hands off the nurses.:-D

good luck john! pain is a side affect but it is worth enduring if you get all motor control back. so, meds and self meds(green meds?) it must be if they help alleviate pain. me and anita are thinking about you.

p.s. go get them apprentices!!! crack that whip!

Good luck, I hope it isn't as painful this time. Thanks for the forewarning on the pictures, I'll scroll very slowly and zip through that part when I get to it :-D

John,
I've had the right hand done once and the left twice.
The second on the left was for the alnur nerve, at that time they
also did the left elbow nerve. [ funny bone nerve ]
I was in agony prior to the surjury.
After the surgury I had little to no pain from the problem
or recovery.
I hope your surgery will be as painless during recovery as mine was.

When I had the right hand done, I went deer hunting the next day.
I climbed up into a tree stand with all my gear and set most of day.

Good luck,
Carl

Hi John,

Good luck with the surgery and at least you kind of know what to expect (so you got that going for you). I am sure that everything will be over befgore you know it and you will be back to tooling on the cars in no time. As for the post op pics ... that would be uh ... great? :puke:

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to you John. I know this sucks to have done. Self med wisely!

We all are pulling for you to have a very successful surgery and hope yu get well soon! Got to get well so you can get back on FABO!

Bobby Dodson

For a 15 minute operation it sure hurts like hell but you'll pull through bro. Vicodin or Percocet every 3 hours.

Hope things went well big John. I have done the tunnel thing as well as elbow surgery for tendinitis (tennis elbow), to make things all that much more fun, I'm a one armed man already. If you need any tips on how to do things with one wing, let me know I,m your man.:salute:

Best wishes John. Will be praying for a speedy recovery.

I know where your at too. I've had both hands done twice and both elbows done. First time I had my right hand/wrist smashed by a forklift that I was running and the brakes went out. Never regained feeling in it so 3-4 months later they did carpal tunnel surgery. Took a month or so but feeling came back. Still took several months to regain full use of it. Then the left hand went south because I used it so much when the right hand was bad. Then scar tissue grew in each a few yrs. later and had to do it again and at the same time they did my elbows. One elbow hurt real bad for a couple months after he did it and the other didn't hardly hurt at all. Go figure.

-
Back