surprise handling fix with 11.75 rotor swap

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
Went to the slider 10.85" discs years ago, worked great for stopping but car always felt nervous over 50. First drive on the pin-style 11.75's and problem solved!
Wasn't expecting that.

Now I'm wondering why, bearings? The spindles were untouched.

Car is in my thumbnail

What do you mean by nervous? Did it have trouble stopping above 50 mph?
Keeping those sliders greased up real good is important.

I'm wondering if one spindle didn't have a loose boss for a bearing cup. That happened on my '70 440-6 RR. Or maybe the WRONG bearings I won't mention just how fast I've had my Dart wound to when it was running, but let's just say it would be a SERIOUS ticket. It didnt' do anything like that. Other than being a bit "twitchy?" because it's so light, it absolutely went right where you point it.

A side note something that'll make for a real fun high-speed stop is a loose or worn out idler arm. Bump steer and brake pulling a plenty.

What do you mean by nervous? Did it have trouble stopping above 50 mph?
Keeping those sliders greased up real good is important.
It felt loose like it had toe out, even after alignment. It felt unstable and made me nervous

I'm wondering if one spindle didn't have a loose boss for a bearing cup. That happened on my '70 440-6 RR. Or maybe the WRONG bearings I won't mention just how fast I've had my Dart wound to when it was running, but let's just say it would be a SERIOUS ticket. It didnt' do anything like that. Other than being a bit "twitchy?" because it's so light, it absolutely went right where you point it.
I think you nailed it. I remember something was off about the old bearings but I was too cheap and reused everything off the junkyard donor. Donor had been hit pretty good in the driver side front corner.
Oh yeah, the bearing shell was a sloppy fit in one rotor hat so I green locktited it in. Probably a bad idea

-
Back