suspenison and rear end

-

69Valiant4spd

Reaction score
I need some suggestions for what would be best suspenison and rear end for a 69 Valiant. The motor will be around 500 hp/600 lb. torque w/4sp.

Is this a race car, or a street car? Both, street strip? Are you interested in handling, going around turns?

Drag racing?
Road racing?
Street ?

I do love my 8 3/4's..but with that kind of power and a 4-speed i'd go dana....

Dennis, if you are looking for an 8 3/4, let me know I have parts to build one.

I need some suggestions for what would be best suspenison and rear end for a 69 Valiant. The motor will be around 500 hp/600 lb. torque w/4sp.

sounds like an 18spline and a dana is in ur future! as for springs use the SS 002/003 with the inboard kit. u can build a brand new dana for like 1300 from strange, just get it all in peices and buy the axles tubes from the metal yard... better have a 220v welder tho

With the right setup, an 8 3/4 has the ability to handle 800 hp, all you need moser axles and a HD center section, like the ones Mopar sells. Not to mention that they take less HP to turn, weigh less, and you can swap the center in less than an hour. I keep a 3.23 for long drives and run a 4.56 for drag duty and around town. A Dana 60 is the ultimate for racing, but overkill for the street. I have actually never seen a properly setup 8 3/4 blow up. And I have racing and speciating at drag strips since the early 80's when the Detroit Dragway was still open (that was a scary track to run!).

If you're going to build a rear end from scratch, it's just as cheap to build the Dana. If you already have the 8 3/4, you could back brace the housing and run good axles and probably be safe.

If you are doing any street driving at all, I wouldn't use the SS springs. They make your car sit uneven and are very stiff. Great drag racing springs, not very street friendly. Just my opinion. The XHD springs would probably be more what you're looking for.

If you're going to build a rear end from scratch, it's just as cheap to build the Dana. If you already have the 8 3/4, you could back brace the housing and run good axles and probably be safe.

If you are doing any street driving at all, I wouldn't use the SS springs. They make your car sit uneven and are very stiff. Great drag racing springs, not very street friendly. Just my opinion. The XHD springs would probably be more what you're looking for.

i have to disagree. i have SS springs on my car and i autocross it HARD and drive it hard on the street. they seem to work fine to me. i am going to road race springs this winter,so we'll see what the difference is. they have served me well though!

-
Back