Suspension problems

-

JGABBARD

Reaction score
I have an issues that hopefully someone else has dealt with. I have a 65 Cuda with a 511 low deck 727 and 8 3/4 it has a 411 gear that I just installed replacing the 456 because I was hitting the rev limiter with 7000 chip at about 1000 ft . I am rapping the rear springs so bad that the driveshaft u joints are hitting. It has superstock springs and I added traction bars that I have set loaded. It also has a pinion snubber that is also set loaded. I have wheelie bars that we raised to 11 inches to see if they were causing the rearend to unload and as I left the line they are actually touching the ground. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it

Sounds like you might need shocks that are stiffer on extension. Much stiffer.

Which SS springs do you have on there? Why did you add the traction bars? Have you run without the traction bars?

A Body Super Stock springs I bought about 15 years ago I ordered them from I think Mancinni. I got the traction bars to try to stop the rotation of the rear end. It nearly pulls the driveshaft out of the transmission. You can see were the pinion snubber slides past the body and the driveshaft has hit the top of the back of the tunnel were it opens up

ladder/coil overs would be a life changing experience for you..... been there, done that.

SS springs.... while we never did the traction bar deal as the front spring segment was fairly stiff, you could always add clamps to make it dang near solid. I find it hard to believe that you have enough axle rotation for the u-joint to bind if the static pinion angle is correct. dump the pinion snubber too.

Sounds like pinion angle may be wrong. I run the 002/003 SS Springs with an adjustable pinion snubber 1/4" from the floor. Make sure your rear shocks are plenty long enough also.

sounds like your springs are just worm out, they will go bad. Get some cal tracs or some new super stock springs, and I'll bet your problem goes away.

Thanks to all for the help. I am going to go to Caltracs during the winter and hope for good results next spring

Ya know if you videoed the car you could know exactly whats happening and how to correct it.

-
Back