Suspension rebuild tools? Magnum HP?

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere and I missed it. I did a search and came up with some bits and bobs on it, but still left me with a question or two.

Going to totally redo the front suspension on a '71 Dart when I swap over the discs from a '73 dart parts car. Going to swap over all the '73 stuff onto the '71. So, bought all the suspension pieces to rebuild the '73 front suspension while doing the swap.

Upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, front tie bar bushings, tie rod ends inner and outer with new sleeves.

Looking through it seems I need to purchase a 1.915" socket to fit the upper ball joints.

Also looks like I need the upper control arm bushing remover/installer and the lower control arm pivot remover. Once the pivot is out I guess I need to cut/chisel/compress the lower control arm bushing out and somehow press the new one in.

Question is are these the tools needed? I don't have access to a press just an old small vise and the nearest machine shop is quite a way off and difficult for me to get to. Are there other home made type tools that can be used to do the job?

I saw a post or two saying to get the tools from Magnum HP. Looks like I'd be into $90 in tools plus ship right off the bat (so much for saving money doing it diy eh?). Has anyone dealt with this company? Quality? Service?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

I have bought from Greg before, Good to deal with. I also have the T-Bar removal tool thats included in the kit. Works well.

I made my own light duty arbor press for pressing out lca bushings that uses my porta power. I always use poly bushings and then you reuse the old shell rather than chisel it out

AdamR - Thanks for the input on magnum hp. Just hate to spend that kind of money as funds are always tight. Looks like the kit you mention is $120 plus ship. May have to knuckle under an buy it, but sure hate to.

ChrisII - I think I may have seen a post about using poly bushes. Probably yours. I wish I'd have seen it before I ordered all the suspension stuff. On a pretty good budget so not sure how the poly would have worked out for me, but sounds a lot easier to install.

I don't have a porta power. I wonder if I could rig up an inexpensive press out of a bottle jack some how??? Seems like the last time I looked at bottle jacks they were around $10-15 or so. Hmmmmm.

Cheers

i've used the magnumHP kit twice and i beleive they've paid for themselves. think of time wasted taking parts to a shop with a press, waiting for the shop to complete job(some shops won't do it immediatly), etc.
i live in a condo so having big shop tools like a press is sorta out, but i'd much rather do the front-end work myself, thats where these tools shine.
get em, you'll thank yourself!!

So this will be my first time doing a Dart suspension. If I buy the $120 kit it looks like I will have the tool to remove and install the ball joint no problem. The upper and lower control arm bush is the concern. The upper tool is listed as a remover and installer. On the bottom what happens?

Thanks everyone for your help and taking the time to post.

Cheers

the upper shuld instal with the same tool it was removed with, if not you can use a vice and a big socket for those. ive never done a stock lower so i dont know.
no , it wasnt me who posted about the poly, but they are a more solid bushing and easy to install.

Thanks for the answer on the top arm. Anyone know on the lowers? I do have a vise at home, but I think it is a medium duty one that just opens about 4 inches maybe 5 max.

Cheers

did you buy the august 07 issue of Mopar Action? On page 91 it has a little writeup of a easier way (I've never done it) of removing the lower control arm bushing. If you dont have it pm me and I can give it to ya.

Thanks! I only got it last year but I love it!. about the only thing wrong with it is the plating peeling off the front bumper.

Too bad you are not closer. Local scrappy has a valiant that looks similar year. Pretty picked over, but by the time you ship a bumper from here with the new ship rates you could probably have both replated up there.

Always liked the Valiants in that year range.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

-
Back