suspension upgrade

-

anarchy0392

Reaction score
Okay, I have a 73 dart custom looking to upgrade the handling like a lot. Its all stock with 14" wheels (not rims:protest:). I have been reading a lot of post on here and have a good set of knowledge about upgrading modern cars. Now here's a list of some things I would like to know.

1.) Upgrade torsion bars, does a 73 dart have them? If so what size? Is there a stock part from another dart or another mopar that can be ordered, like off rockauto that will be larger?

2.) Front sway bar I want a good one that will work and bolt in from what i gathered that would be hellwig. Is there a chance I'll need to buy new lower control arms to use it? What should I look for on mine to see if it will mount up?

3.) Shocks looks like most people like the monroe brand and I see rockauto sells KYB gas-a-just which I use in my other car anyone used them on their mopar and like them?

4.) Traction bars? Are they wort it for spirited street and some track use.

5.) Pan hard bars? Do I even need them?

6.) Strut tower brace? Is there even one for a dart cause the ones I found look like spaghetti noodles? I love it in my other car firmed up the front a lot.

7.) Alignment. How do I set the camber and caster in the front and camber in the rear? Do I need to buy washers, spacers, adjustable parts or what? I'm going to but it up on a rack and set it to pro-street once I figure this out. I got this to go by.

UjdyUai.jpg

8.) And what are some good cheap wheels? I'd like to get some aluminum wheels to drop the unsprung weight would they be okay for my weekend driver dart?

I made my own cross brace and used the cowl braces from a later model duster. I think next time I'll extend a leg from the top of the shocks to the cross brace. You need to upgrade the torsion bars to around 1" and a good set of shocks, Bilstiens would be my choice. Front and rear sway bars and a set of 15 x 7" rims would help. I used 215/60/15 tires, your choice on them. The cross brace did tighten the front end, I'd do it again. Good luck.

Attachments

• WP_20140525_14_58_35_Pro__highres.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 471
Stiff enough to now freak out going 60 on a mellow curve on the highway and have fun on the streets. Also what is pst im new to the mopar world

Stiff enough to now freak out going 60 on a mellow curve on the highway and have fun on the streets. Also what is pst im new to the mopar world

No, they have been around for a while now. They are on here so contact them for ideas. I have the 893/892 bars in mine and I don't think I'd want a lot more then that. Get shocks that are going to work with the bars you use.

Hotchkis is the leader in Mopar handling right now. They sell almost everything you need for your car and can help you get your hands on the last bits to get it together. If you need any help you can call me at the shop, I'd be happy to chat. 928-783-5421. Ask for Dan

Okay, I have a 73 dart custom looking to upgrade the handling like a lot. Its all stock with 14" wheels (not rims:protest:). I have been reading a lot of post on here and have a good set of knowledge about upgrading modern cars. Now here's a list of some things I would like to know.

1.) Upgrade torsion bars, does a 73 dart have them? If so what size? Is there a stock part from another dart or another mopar that can be ordered, like off rockauto that will be larger?

2.) Front sway bar I want a good one that will work and bolt in from what i gathered that would be hellwig. Is there a chance I'll need to buy new lower control arms to use it? What should I look for on mine to see if it will mount up?

3.) Shocks looks like most people like the monroe brand and I see rockauto sells KYB gas-a-just which I use in my other car anyone used them on their mopar and like them?

6.) Strut tower brace? Is there even one for a dart cause the ones I found look like spaghetti noodles? I love it in my other car firmed up the front a lot.

7.) Alignment. How do I set the camber and caster in the front and camber in the rear? Do I need to buy washers, spacers, adjustable parts or what? I'm going to but it up on a rack and set it to pro-street once I figure this out. I got this to go by.

http://i.imgur.com/UjdyUai.jpg

8.) And what are some good cheap wheels? I'd like to get some aluminum wheels to drop the unsprung weight would they be okay for my weekend driver dart?

What's your budget like? Here are some hints on maybe where to go...

1) A '73 Dart has torsion bars and they're the same length as all other A-bodies. I would get mine from http://firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_parts.html. I would get something around a 1"-1.06" bar. I believe PST sells a decent bar as well. Make sure you get a decent set of leaf springs.

2) Hellwig is a good option as they're adjustabe. Firm Feel also has a decent non-adjustable one as well and if you really want to get pricey you can go with Hotchkis bars. As far as if they'll mount, check the front of your LCA's to see if there is a tab hanging off. Sometimes the sway bar supplier will send weld on tabs for you to use.

3) From what I've heard is that KYB's are awfully stiff. Monroe's are pretty generic and wouldn't really be suited for a "handling" type car. I got a set of Bilstein RCD's ($400 a set) and they were great on my stock suspension. I'm currently in the process of upgrading the rest so we'll see if it can keep up with the rest of my suspension.

4) I have no experience with them. I don't think they're very handling oriented but could be for useful for spirited fun.

5) You don't need a panhard bar

6) A tower brace will most likely have to be custom made if you want one. It's arguable if it would benefit in a mopar. I've heard some say it does and others say it doesn't. I don't recall the reasons at the moment.

7) That's a good reference to use. I haven't done an alignment job to give you specifics. You can't really set camber for the rear as it's a solid axle. There's no cv joints to adjust.

8.) Some affordable wheels in small and big bolt pattern are Coy's ( http://www.coyswheel.com/coys.html ) and Motech Performance's ( http://motechperformance.com/store/ ). I'd recommend at least a 17" wheel but the most you'll probably be able to fit on the front is a 225/45/17 tire with little mods.

What are your current plans for brakes?

Hotchkis is the leader in Mopar handling right now. They sell almost everything you need for your car and can help you get your hands on the last bits to get it together. If you need any help you can call me at the shop, I'd be happy to chat. 928-783-5421. Ask for Dan

I'll be running a full Hotchkis TVS when I'm done with my build. My brake setup is all from Doctor Diff ( http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/complete-kits/ ). They're two great, knowledgeable suppliers.

Brakes for now will stay stock but would like to upgrade to 4 disc soon. But that info is much appreciated . Onlny thing I need to know still is how to set camber and caster in the front. I believe I found that camber is by an ecentric bolt? But other than that not sure if im right. My car right now is sitting at the shop at shcool. (Going to college for auto technician) So I cant really take a look until monday now. Thank ypu for your help everyone.

Brakes for now will stay stock but would like to upgrade to 4 disc soon. But that info is much appreciated . Onlny thing I need to know still is how to set camber and caster in the front. I believe I found that camber is by an ecentric bolt? But other than that not sure if im right. My car right now is sitting at the shop at shcool. (Going to college for auto technician) So I cant really take a look until monday now. Thank ypu for your help everyone.

What's stock? 10" drums? Discs up front? What bolt pattern? There is an eccentric bolt used for the UCA and I believe it is used to set your camber. Good for you becoming an auto technician. I'm finishing up my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in March.

UjdyUai.jpg

What level of handing are you shooting for? What is your budget? Are you looking for a high end goal, but don't want to/can't buy all the stuff at once?

Are you looking to do autocross? Once, once a year, more?

Are you looking to do a track day on a road course? Once, once a year, more?

Excellent street handling can come from 1" T-bars, sway bars, bilstein shocks, offset UCA bushings, and the alignment you picked. Then you need some good tires that only come in sizes over 16".

Seems like dart/scamp rear quarter only take about a 245 wide tire with springs in stock location and lowered stance.

I've done a good number of the upgrades on my own '73 Dart, streetdriven daily;

- 1" torsion bars JustSuspension (I would like 1.06" better now I think, maybe even 1.10")
- Hellwig swaybar on the front.
- Lowered stance.
- MOOG offset bushings for more caster.
- Subframe connectors.
- Borgeson power steeringbox
- Extra leaf in the rear springpacks.
- Rear shocks Monroe sensatrack with helperspring.
- 17" wheels (Showwheels)

Next upgrades;
- Hotchkis adj. front shocks in favor of KYB's.
- rear swaybar
- Front end stiffening
- 5.7L Hemi

Stock means 4.5 LBP, disc up front and drums in the rear not sure if they are 9" or 10". Its on a 7 1/4 rear. Lookinh for a 8 3/4.

As for what level of handling close to my ford focus that I take to the trac lol. The dart may see the trac 2 or more times a year and by trac I mean road course.

Okay then lets see

1.) 1" torsion bars

2.) Hellwig or feel firm sway bar

3.)Looks like billastines

4.) Not needed

5.) Not needed

6.) Make my own

7.) So camber bolt for camber and moog offset bushings for caster. Got a part number or link to the bushings?

8.) So I need 245/45/R17 to match stock tire hight or would it be a 50?

Also my budget is about 800 strecthed over the next few months. Got bills, house payment, and a newborn using up all my money right now lol and im not in a rush to get everything. I can get it piece by piece. It would also allow me appreciate each upgrade.also how low under stock should I go?

I haven't driven anything modern in ages but I think if you want to equal the handling of a modern Ford Focus you will need to go a bit further than just the above.

- Suggest to use 1.06" or more likely, larger 1.12" bars.
- Strut towerbrace... There are (also) a lot of other areas in your car that could use reinforcing aswell. I would start with fabbing your own subframe connectors first.
- 8-3/4" with A-body housingwidths only come with smallpattern axles. Axle-change to LBP would be in order. (DrDiff)
- Cam-bolts, your car already has them.
- Wider front wheels on a Dart need a bit more offset to the inside than the rears usually because of the wider track and fender clearance.

Doing things one at a time is also how I did my car.
This way you get a better understanding how every mod is adding up to the overal package.

As for the torsionbars, if someone today would offer me their, 1.06 bars in exchange for my 1" bars, I would have my car on a lift that evening.

Thats true I forgot about the sbp on the 8 3/4 do you think an 8 1/4 would hold up to a 500hp? Cause I want to do a swap to a 340 with a 416 stroker kit I just want a rear end that could hold up under that kind of power.

Go with a Dana 60, cost for cost you'll come out ahead with a dana

Will it fit without moding I dont want to weld spring perches or shorten anything is the dana 60 just a bolt on for an abodie (I know ill have to shorten the drive shaft)

-
Back