Swap help

-

scampy72

Reaction score
ok so i have one question... im swapping a 440 into my scamp, are the relocation mounts that utilize the stock K-member good?

^ I have used them on several different installs and they work very well.

They're fine, but they are hardly the only way. If I didn't have a stash of 73-76 V8 k-members I would consider them.

ok so i have one question... im swapping a 440 into my scamp, are the relocation mounts that utilize the stock K-member good?

Yes they are, you will only have to check the drivers side mount if you are using a high volume oil pump. Just make sure the mount is not touching the pump once the mount is in. It may not hurt if is, but I like enough clearance so it not aganst the pump.

With my 4x4 addiction I always make all my own mounts for everything. For my car, I bought the whole Shumacher kit including the torque strap and it went in real easy. It actually fits great and wasn't hard.

Make sure to check the oil pump clearance. I almost didn't catch that and I would have had to remove the engine.

Went right in the first time and everything worked out well.

ROB

My car has these mounts. WOrks great for me.

I have a 73 K member in the shop, so next time I will go that rout and try something new and maybe save a couple bux. have a welder anyways, might as well give it a shout.

Phil

would that stash be for the make your very own DC K-member mod?

Yep, but the stash is getting pretty small with only one spare. The last few I saw in the yards I was too lazy or busy to go grab. Between me and my two sons we do have three cars with them (although mine isn't in the car yet) plus a fourth that we sold.

Yep, but the stash is getting pretty small with only one spare. The last few I saw in the yards I was too lazy or busy to go grab. Between me and my two sons we do have three cars with them (although mine isn't in the car yet) plus a fourth that we sold.
I guess with a measuring tape and some welding knowledge that would be the best way to go.
you can then reenforce all the factory welds and box things in for added strength.

Yep, when I found out how easy it was (over twenty years ago) that's the approach I have taken, but my latest is really the first one I have re-inforced at all.

Yes, power steering fits, but not with some headers. No problem with manifolds. We did have trouble on my son's Barracuda because he wanted the PS cooler. The return hose wound up being two lengths of hose with a steel tube that was bent about ninety degrees to avoid kinking the hose. I will be putting the power steering back into my Barracuda so that it will be easier to park and easier for my wife to drive it.

We are planning on putting power steering into my younger son's Dart, but mainly because his manual gear is WORN out and they are EXPENSIVE to rebuild or replace.

when we did my 73 duster i used the typical late saginaw pump. I can can tell you that i had to make a notch in the k-member near
the d-side mount. mabey that was becouse of the schumacher mounts perhaps? i measured everything.. even the offset was bang on.
who knows....

It probably also depends on which pump brackets you use as some put the pump lower than others. We used the pump from a Dippy cop car in my Son's Barracuda and the original 69 Polara setup in my old 67 fastback (it was also an AC car and had all four belts, etc. from the Polara). No notching was required on either. I have not yet determined which brackets I will use in my convertible, but since I am considering a partial aftermarket AC setup I need to keep that in mind.

-
Back