Swapping 360's

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
In my 64 Signet I have an LA 360 and will be putting in a 360 Magnum. I want to know if the serpentine belt system will fit in early A without problems.

The reason is, it's got a Vortec suoercharger and the engine is currently in a Dodge Dakota. I will be using the engine and trans, computer etc..

Thanks for everything..

Not sure on the belt set up but I have read the trans is too large for a stock torsion bar crossmember.

I don't see a problem because a member here did have a hair dryer super charger set up on his as well. The key here is to use a tape measure on your car first to see how much room you have now from various points on the current engine to the radiator and fan shroud.

Places to measure would be the front of the block where the cylinder head meets the block and the intake meets the block. Then go to the supercharged engine and measure the amount of space it consumes forward the engine.

From what I have seen in the past, the supercharger belt does not go forward the fan.

Thank you RumbleFish for your time.. I figured I would need to modify the serpentine system and exclude the power steering unit just to begin with.. Granted this isn't a real supercharger yet, I picked up the whole vehicle for 4g's.. What I would really like to know is who makes or modifies the ECU for a plug and play, otherwise I will be wasting much time with the whole harness, at least that is what I believe... Thanks again.. After which I plan on using radiator etc and whatever I see fit to use

This is what it somewhat looks like under the Dakota hood, it's a V2

did you just buy that dakota or has it been yours? ive seen it for sale and wanted to come look at it

Others have had to cut and re-weld the transmission hump inside the car to get a Magnum tranny to fit. Nicest thing is you then get an overdrive gear. When I test-fit a Magnum "beer barrel" intake on my 273, it looked like the air inlet would just barely clear the hood, if that. Might need to use later, thinner "pancake" engine mounts.

Yes Baxter, I bought it as a donor for my 64..

Bill, this particular vehicle has sequential fuel injection which uses one injector per cylinder on the runners, unlike the beer barrel... I will be using practically everything from the Dakota... I've measure it all yet, the hump won't bother me as much as finding a reasonable priced hot rod harness for a plug and play as I may have to rewire it myself if I can find a wiring diagram for the Dakota..

passenger side inner fender looks tight if not outright hitting the supercharger. but thats the biggest void in the engine bay already.

I looked at Dakota headers and they were too wide for an early A so maybe the entire engine bay is wider.

pishta, The 64 runs fenderwell headers on the 1991 - 360 which is in the 64 and they will stay for the Magnum.. As far as the supercharger, there's no problem on clearance, although the power steering and pulley will be removed as the 64 has no power steering...

I have measured just about everything on both vehicles and will put them both on lifts this week..

If no one has any idea where I can get a reasonable hot rod harness made or bought, I will probably use the complete harness with most of it hidden under the fender wells and slightly under the dash as this will give me the opportunity to update some things in the future.. I also want to use a Dakota steering column and wheel because it has the cruise control within it and will modify the coupler to the steering box... To me, these things a fairly simple and work with the ECU.

And now to upset the apple cart... The 1999 Dakota is an R/T and is super clean in, out and under and has 97,000 miles on the complete truck and fully equipped with fast ratio steering and basically most all options and I will reinstall another ECU and harness from my 90 Chevy pickup which runs an LT4 and T56 6speed and gets between 25 - 29 mpg and runs in the 12's The R/T weighs approximately 500 pounds lighter than my Chevy, so that should do better in the Dakota in most all ways...
I would be thinking of putting in the 360 that's in the 64 but, I like gas mileage and power and my Chevy pickup has all that for a daily driver and the Dakota is a extended cab and I am 6'4" and do not fit well in a driving position in the Silverado.. I love the comfort of the Dakota which the Silverado doesn't have for me and so, there will be a swap... Also I am more than considering an 8.75 to replace the 9.2 rear differential...
BTW, I love them both and both have sequential fuel injection and I am not a purist in any way shape or form yet, I love hot rodding, cruising and going fast

Hotlines, keep us informed as to what option you come up with as far as the wiring harness or weather you cut up the original and try to blend the two.
That's a cool project you have going there.

-
Back