Swapping 72 360 Truck Engine Into A 65 Slant A Body?

-

Bossanova5

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a line on a 72 360-truck engine and (2) 727 transmissions one with the long tail shaft and one with a short tail section.

Anyone know what has to be done to make this swap into an early Slant A body?

Last edited:
for a start a passenger car sump and oil pickup pipe. then swap mounts as even if your car had a 273 one side won't work for a 360 (or 340). i'll let others chime in for more specifics but these'll get you going.
neil.

basically the same as the cordoba (charger?) swap you asked about.

you'll need to shorten the driveshaft no matter what 727 you use.

All the same stuff we already wrote out for you, plus a couple more odds and ends, like the oil pan/pickup/dipstick&tube as already mentioned.
Any "short tailshaft" 727 is either out of a 4x4 or a motorhome and is no bueno for an A body swap.

A better radiator. Early A V8 center link, gas pedal with cable, and engine mounts. As said above, mounts are different for 273/318 and 340/360. A fat wallet for exhaust. Better front suspension and brakes. Bigger rear end. And more that I'm not recalling at the moment.

I guess it's an easier swap (Parts finding wise) coming out of a car rather than a truck.

Well, a 727 in an early A (63 to 66)is tight , the pinch weld in the tunnel will need to be massaged and or bent out of the way. You will need to find an early A center link even if you use a car or truck engine and trans.

I guess it's an easier swap (Parts finding wise) coming out of a car rather than a truck.
besides the oil pan, which you may or may not need to swap on the car motor anyway, it's all pretty much the same.

maybe you get lucky on exhaust manifolds with the car, but likely not. so you're in the same boat as with the truck junk.

the swap hinges on three things: oil pan, center link, exhaust.

the trans fitment is just pound to fit paint to match as long as it's not something goofy specific application wise. and the motor mounts are gonna be the same in that you'll need to source a-body ones; which again, maybe the car ones might work but the truck is fairly unlikely.

-
Back