Swapping 73 duster interior to 70-72 info wanted

-

Notanova73

Reaction score
Hello I’m looking for information on swapping out my broken hard to find plastic interior in my 73 duster with the metal 70-72 kind. What’s needed besides the metal parts them selves?im even considering putting 70-72 doors on it to to get rid of all the plastic.I’ve looked on here and can’t find anything on it.thanks

Well, the metal sail panels are a start. They need to be modified slightly to fit around the 73+ quarter window latches, you basically have to cut a notch in the metal panel where the latch goes to account for the difference between the '70-72 latch and the 73+ latch. Then you need the earlier rear panels, as the 73+ rear panels won't fit with the metal sail panels. You will also need to figure out a way to deal with the gap, since the metal sail panels don't extend all the way back to the rear window like the 73+ plastic sail panels do. I used a piece of ABS plastic to make an extension of the sail panel to cover that gap when I converted my '74 over to the eariler '70-72 metal sail panels.

The doors are a whole different story. You either need to find an earlier set of doors, or do some surgery. One member here added the metal upper and lower panels to a later set of doors, it's shown in this thread
73 doors on my 70

Well, the metal sail panels are a start. They need to be modified slightly to fit around the 73+ quarter window latches, you basically have to cut a notch in the metal panel where the latch goes to account for the difference between the '70-72 latch and the 73+ latch. Then you need the earlier rear panels, as the 73+ rear panels won't fit with the metal sail panels. You will also need to figure out a way to deal with the gap, since the metal sail panels don't extend all the way back to the rear window like the 73+ plastic sail panels do. I used a piece of ABS plastic to make an extension of the sail panel to cover that gap when I converted my '74 over to the eariler '70-72 metal sail panels.

The doors are a whole different story. You either need to find an earlier set of doors, or do some surgery. One member here added the metal upper and lower panels to a later set of doors, it's shown in this thread
73 doors on my 70
Thanks.yeah I’m sure it would be easier to get early doors that’s the plan.

-
Back